+ Reply to Thread

Post Hot water recirculation

My water heater has a recirculating pump that has failed. I replaced it with pump from a big box store which is intended to be installed at the top of the water heater, with a cross-over to be installed between the hot & cold water shut-off valves under a sink at the far end of the house. I did not install the cross-over valve, and installe the pump where the old one was at the base of the water heater. I am not getting hot water at the distant fixtures, no matter how long I let the pump run. Why would this be? Is it possible the new pump isn't strong enough? Is it possible the check valve is stuck and keeps the recirculation from occurring. Any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Default Re: Hot water recirculation

Should have followed the instructions.

It's not the pump size, something else is going on. Do you have a designated recirculating line? If you do are you sure you connected the pump in the right direction? There is a arrow on the pump body that should be pointing to the heater and not away from it.
    John

You selected the wrong pump. I believe the pump that you have bought is an end of line pump that would be installed at a kitchen sink for example. this pump would take some cold water from the hot water connection and pump it into the cold water connection until hot water arrived at the faucet then the pump would stop until the hot water cooled off enough to start all over again. What you need is what we in the trade call bronze fitted recirculation domestic hot water pump. It is installed just after the tee connecting the hot water recirculaing line and the cold water before going in to the cold connection of the hot water tank. The no brainner move would be to replace the pump with exactly the same pump.

Yes there is a designated recirculating line, and the pump is installed in the same direction as the original.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    It's not the pump size, something else is going on. Do you have a designated recirculating line? If you do are you sure you connected the pump in the right direction? There is a arrow on the pump body that should be pointing to the heater and not away from it.