+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Neatly Re-Hanging RG-58 Cable?

I re-painted my house and afterward the cable guy came out and re-hung some wire and it looks UGLY.

It seems like a trivial thing, but it's like this huge black scar all along the bottom of the paint. Looks totally trailer park.

I'm wondering what I can do to mount the cable underneath the lowest clapboard so it looks as unobtrusive as possible. I don't have a ton of tools and I can't figure out if one of these standard clips (it's a brad with a hooked piece of plastic) can be nailed into the bottom of the clapboard or if one uses a cement brad.

Or maybe there is a 'pro' trick that the Comcast guy couldn't be bothered with.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Here are sample images (I can't get the uploader to work.)

http://jchmusic.com/images/img_0513.png
    http://jchmusic.com/images/img_0514.png

TIA,

---JC
    Last edited by suntower; 03-01-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Default Re: Neatly Re-Hanging RG-58 Cable?

Paint the cable to match the house.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

***!, that was fast.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Paint the cable to match the house.
    Seriously? It may come to that, but I was hoping there was a cleaner way to do this. If the wire could be neatly affixed below the last clapboard it would be a LOT less obtrusive. I just can't figure out how to do it.

(That's weird... 'w o w' is replaced by ***)

Quote Originally Posted by suntower View Post
    ***!, that was fast.

Seriously? It may come to that, but I was hoping there was a cleaner way to do this. If the wire could be neatly affixed below the last clapboard it would be a LOT less obtrusive. I just can't figure out how to do it.

(That's weird... 'w o w' is replaced by ***)
    W O W is in the word censor due to spam issues.

You'll just have to make a trip to the hardware store and see if there is a particular wire staple, wire molding, or some other piece of hardware that can be adapted to your purposes.

Something that might work are wire clips, these wrap around the wire with an eyelet to put a screw through. Small L brackets could be bent and modified to do the same thing, again, it depends on what you've got to work with on the house. Maybe you can use a cable staple and drive it directly into the bottom edge of the siding? Just depends on the thickness of the siding, how it was installed, etc.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I know your frustration. When I have a tenant move out, he/she usually leaves the cables behind. When a new tenant moves in, he gets a new set of cable ON TOP of the old ones. Annoying.

To make cables disappear - insert them inside the walls. However, it's not economical.

So what's second best? tucking them snugly under the siding and painting them will do the trick.