+ Reply to Thread

Default Weed Prevention on a Large Yard

Hello,

We recently moved into a house sitting on 7 acres of land. 2 acres are 100% wooded and another acre is taken up by the house/yard and the pond. That leaves 4 acres. Should I put down some weed and feed to control the weeds or just let Mother Nature do her work? The grass is just standard pasture grass - good for horses if we had horses. The area around the house is a combo of zoshia and bermuda and I know I need to start putting down some weed&feed this weekend. Any ideas? What would be the cost involved? I've read 44 lbs per acre and looking at Scotts says 15,000 sq ft per bag. Considering an acre is over 43,000 sq ft, that doesn't compute to 44 lbs since it takes 3 of those bags. Which is it, 44 lbs per acre or nearly 12 bags of Scott's?

Default Re: Weed Prevention on a Large Yard

So you want to weed/feed 4 acres? Are you cutting it on a regular basis & want it to look like a lawn or just cutting it a few times a year. If the latter, I wouldn't put any chemicals on it at all.
    You don't say where you read 44# / acre or how many #'s are in a bag. If in doubt, contact the manufacturer. If on the same bag, maybe they didn't coordinate all the numbers when they changed the formulation or weight of the bags.

I'm not sure how often I will cut it. I'll probably see how fast it grows and cut it when it reaches a certain height like 4 inches. I don't want it looking like a lawn but at the same time don't want it to look like a prairie.

You will be making a huge mistake to apply weed-n-feed anywhere but the lawn that you want to keep manicured.

Pasture grasses, left to their own devices grow slowly and won't need maintenance cutting very often. If you fertilize it, however, it's going to grow exponentially, and instead of just the area around the house needing to be done regularly, you're going to have 4 acres to cut. This will be a huge pain in the behind, if farming/maintenance is not your thing.

I would recommend either getting an animal to munch the grass for you, or see if a local farmer would be willing to either cut it periodically or graze his animals on it from time to time.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

A relative has a large field that he lets a farmer cut hay for a portion of the harvest. Horse people are pretty particular about what chemicals are applied to the hay.
    I agree with spruce about not applying fertilizer and I would add no chemicals. Besides the cost, the extra work isn't needed.

Have you ever seen old oil paintings of homes or estates from centuries past? Have you noticed how often sheep are in the picture? Natures lawnmowers! Couple of goats will do the same thing. Goats are sometimes preferred because they will chew anything, including wild blackberries which have nasty thorns.

I was going to suggest goats too. And they produce good milk.