+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Insulation Advice

Quote Originally Posted by marengo View Post
    We have had quotes that vary on your suggestions. Some recommended concrete board along with foam around the perimeter as there are hot water baseboard heating pipes in the exposed cold area. This would create what they called a conditioned crawl space and it also included the vapor barrier. I asked the contractor if foam should be done between the floor joists and he said it may not be necessary. The old (cold) part of the house sits on piers with open lattice for aesthetics which would be used in front of the concrete board.

Other contractors suggested just foaming the joists. Hence, my confusion! Previous home had a basement, so this is all new territory in home ownership. And we looked at the house in the fall before this colder than normal winter set in.
    We also are also installing a new efficient wood stove to help heat the place.

\

Marengo,

My first choice, if money were no object, would be to create that conditioned crawlspace with the foundation walls insulated and at least a vapor barrier on the ground. If this area in now conditioned, insulation on the ceiling becomes unneccessary, as the heat will migrate upward into your house and keep your feet warm. The heating pipes would be left un-insulated, or even some radiator fins added to the line to temper the area.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Marengo,

My first choice, if money were no object, would be to create that conditioned crawlspace with the foundation walls insulated and at least a vapor barrier on the ground. If this area in now conditioned, insulation on the ceiling becomes unneccessary, as the heat will migrate upward into your house and keep your feet warm. The heating pipes would be left un-insulated, or even some radiator fins added to the line to temper the area.
    That seems to be the direction we are headed in. If we don't spend the money on it, we will be spending it on propane and still not be comfortable. We went through 200 gallons of propane in 4 weeks and weren't living in the house yet, and the heat was set at 50-55. Estimates are about $4,000 + but it must be done. Thanks for your advice. It is in line with what we have been hearing.