+ Reply to Thread

Question Moving baseboard due to settled hardwood floor?

We're getting ready to paint our future nursery and have two questions. Our home is 54 years old and the hardwood floor has settled a bit, leaving gaps in places between the baseboard and the floor. I would like to remove the baseboard along one wall and move it down to cover the gap (about 1 cm).

Question 1 - Is this a bad idea? What I mean is, are we just covering up a problem with a band-aid type fix? The house was deemed structurally sound when we purchased it last June.

Question 2 - What is the best way to remove the baseboard without damaging it or the plaster wall beneath? There seem to be 3 nails in a vertical line about every 16 inches along the board - in line with studs?

Thanks,
    badger

Default Re: Moving baseboard due to settled hardwood floor?

Instead of removing the baseboard, which will most assuredly damage the wall and likely the baseboard too, you could install a base shoe to cover the gap. The shoe can either match the floor or the base (if you have painted base ). It would be quick and easy to install. Shoe is generally a piece of quarter round or a slightly taller molding with a bullnose on the top corner.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

On the areas with a 1 cm gap, would I have room to nail the shoe molding to the baseboard?

Yes, You can get shoe moulding that is 2 cm and wider.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I posted a response, complete with pictures, but unfortunately it seems that any post with an image linked to it must be approved by the admin. Hopefully it will be posted tomorrow.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!