+ Reply to Thread

Default How to move a one car wood frame garage?

My son has a one car, older, frame garage that he wants to move to back of lot so as to make room for an addition to the house.
    What would be the best way to move this? It is on concrete slab(concrete is cracked). there is a concrete sill of about 2-3 in. that it is sitting on.
    Thinking about jacking it up, putting pipe trough, and wheels of some sort.
    There are trees in the backyard to connect a winch to(us a come-a-long))
    Thought about rolling on pipe or logs, but don't think base plate will tolerate this.
    Will do some cross bracing to retain structure integrity.
    Suggestions? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Default Re: How to move a one car wood frame garage?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenfrog View Post
    My son has a one car, older, frame garage that he wants to move to back of lot so as to make room for an addition to the house.
    What would be the best way to move this? It is on concrete slab(concrete is cracked). there is a concrete sill of about 2-3 in. that it is sitting on.
    Thinking about jacking it up, putting pipe trough, and wheels of some sort.
    There are trees in the backyard to connect a winch to(us a come-a-long))
    Thought about rolling on pipe or logs, but don't think base plate will tolerate this.
    Will do some cross bracing to retain structure integrity.
    Suggestions? Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

I don't have any personal experience moving such a large building, but I did a search and Youtube has some videos of people moving large sheds, ect.

Here are a couple examples, you can search Youtube for other examples to be able to actually see people in action moving such buildings -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RdOfAFOUxk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cFwiPhEeFo

At the very least you'll need to add a lot of cross bracing to keep the building in shape while moving it.

It could be done, subject to ground condition (slope, flat), distance to travel, type of construction.

Will you place it on a new slab? you need to think of anchors.

If it were me, and since you mentioned "old", I would build a new garage. I'd dismantle this old garage and use the good lumber for the one, throw away any damaged materials. This way I will have a new, better quality garage than before, for not much more labor.

Hi, Back a heavy duty tandem axle car trailer inside, jack the garage up and add bracing to hold it on the trailer, then move it with a truck. Thanks

I moved a large utility building by sliding it across LVL beams, which are pretty slippery. Even downhill it took lots of winching and some levering but there was no other way because you couldn't get any equipment in there. The smart part was returning the LVL's to the HD for a full refund afterward since they were never nailed into- big box stores are good for some purposes Wouldn't try that with a garage though.

Phil