I am installing a simple TALK/LISTEN/DOOR intercom system in my 3-family 1850s brownstone in Brooklyn, NY. The old doorbell wiring was terrible and unreliable.
I have run 22 AWG wire in the walls everywhere I need it. Next step will be to hook up my transformer, amplifier, apartment stations, and the door entry unit to the wiring where it all meets in the basement. I bought all of these items in a kit from a supplier.
Here's my question: The kit instructions say to check my wiring for shorts/functionality before hooking everything up and connecting the power. Is there an easy way to to do this? The wiring is brand new, so I assume I'm just looking to see if a staple landed in the wrong place somehwere before I close the walls up.
I'm happy to buy a meter or whatever if necessary. Also open to whatever old-fashioned tests there are (9V battery and an line tester?.... I have no idea.) It's my first time working with low-voltage wire, so any advice is appreciated. Thanks!