+ Reply to Thread

Default Should I remodel mobile home?

I have a 15 year old mobile home and am trying to decide whether to keep it or move. As far as I can tell, the only substantial repair that needs to be done is replacing the windows. The casing on the windows is plywood and has been damaged by water leakage. All other repairs are basically cosmetic like replacing carpet and wallpaper. The home is completely paid for and I am disabled on a fixed income. My gut feeling is that maintaining this home will be better financially than moving. Does anyone have experience with remodeling a mobile home? Pros and cons?

Default Re: Should I remodel mobile home?

I have been lost only a few times. However, once was in S.W. Missouri. Joplin to be exact. My destination was NW Arkansas. I had driven down from Kansas City. When I saw a sign that said “Welcome to Oklahoma” I knew it was time to turn around………….. (Laughing at self)

I do not think that replacing a few windows in your mobile would be that big of a deal. Replacing carpet and wallpaper would be pretty inexpensive as well.

I do not know what your moving options would be or the expenses to move and expenses once you got to where you would move. I guess you would need to just figure that out.

I also know that there are many, many individual and interdenominational church groups of people in the trades who are more than happy to help folks just like you. They could care less about your religious affiliation, if any, and only want to help.

My parents have been slowly renovating their modular home for the past few years. As long as the structure of the house still seems solid, updating windows and doors shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

I do agree that you could probably find some financial help for your situation. If you're patient, you may be able to get on a waiting list for the Missouri Department of Natural Resources Weatherization Assistance Program: http://www.dnr.mo.gov/energy/weatherization/wx.htm . Your local community action agency could point you to other places for help as well.

it is always great to do some modification to your home atleast between 3-4 years to give life a new start, Architecture is a very beautiful art which needs a great deal of planning and perfect execution else you will have problems, Baltimore general contractors is one such organized who turned my mother's old home to a beauty

One day, the neighbor came over to borrow some tools from my father. Dad asked what he was doing, and the neighbor said he was remodeling his mobile home. (This was back in the day when mobile homes had sheet metal siding.) Dad replied, "Hold on, let me get you a can opener."
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudysmom View Post
    I have a 15 year old mobile home and am trying to decide whether to keep it or move. As far as I can tell, the only substantial repair that needs to be done is replacing the windows. The casing on the windows is plywood and has been damaged by water leakage. All other repairs are basically cosmetic like replacing carpet and wallpaper. The home is completely paid for and I am disabled on a fixed income. My gut feeling is that maintaining this home will be better financially than moving. Does anyone have experience with remodeling a mobile home? Pros and cons?
    Hi,
    I am looking for an older MH to purchase with the intention or remodeling. I have been doing research on MH repairs, have a long background in construction, especially windows. It sounds as if your window problem may be more a remove the trim and reseal the window to the opening than replacing the whole window. Resealing and trim replacement would be relatively easy. As for being disabled you may be able to do it for yourself. If not try contacting church groups, scouting groups and such for physical assistance with the job. Also some unions used to do community outreach.

Good luck to you.

Dan