+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower drain pipe

I am replacing an old shower and after ripping out the concrete base and water damaged sub floor, there is a contraption into which the shower drain goes to first. The container has some water in it. There is an outlet pipe which leads to the final drain stack going to the to the septic. It appears to be similar in size to a windshield washer reservoir in a car with a cap for a clean out. My assumption is that the "fall" from the shower drain may not be enough and that this somehow compensates by creating the necessary pressure to the drain? I have never seen this before and an wondering if anyone else has.

Default Re: Shower drain pipe

It sounds like what you are describing is a drum trap.
    John

Thanks very much for the responses, that is exactly what it is. What I don't understand is why this device was used in a small shower given that I read this device is to prevent clogs to the pipe and the prevention of sewer gas back up. Anyone have any other uses for this device?

Thanks

When placed outside the shower they can be cleaned out. Sometimes you'll see the silver circular caps on the floor between the tub and the toilet

A drum trap or a p-trap or an s-trap is required between the fixture drain and the main drain pipe. Drum traps were normally used on bathtubs and were placed on the floor of the bathroom next to the tub. Two of the advantages of a drum trap over other traps was that it could be opened up easily (when new) and cleaned, the other advantage is that you could connect to a higher drain on the output. There are two disadvantages with drum taps 1) you can not pass a fish through them 2) after many years if not lubricated they are almost impossible to open. I have repaired or replaced with p-traps hundred of drum traps but have only installed one new one where drain height was a problem.
    I would replace this drum trap with a p-trap.