+ Reply to Thread

Default U shaped house, want to enclose porch area.

This is my first post on this site. I am not sure what to include but here goes....We have a U shaped house. The U is in the back of the house. It is 14'8'' wide and 15'7 long on one side and 13'6 on the other side. The concrete slab is approx. 20' long, it extends past the sides of the house. The house is stucco, and there are two doors and two windows. The other snag is there is an fireplace inside, so this juts out on the 14'8'' side about a foot and is approx. 6 feet wide.

We live in the Arizona and the sun is very hot. We want to enclose this area to have shaded spot that we can use year round. the height from the concrete slab to the pa****t wall is 10' The roof is a flat roof with a pa****t wall of additional 1 foot. I hope I am making sense. I can't seem to find any information on these 1940's ranch style U shaped homes. Any ideas how we might do this? Or where on the web I could look?

Am I able to post a picture here? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give!

Default Re: U shaped house, want to enclose porch area.

First you can post pictures by first putting them on a photo sharing site such as PhotoBucket and posting the link, or e-mail them to me jackson_l_mcdaniel@yahoo.com and I will post them for you. Put "TOH Pix" in the subject line and include your TOH user name.

You might consider an awning, you can do an on line search for "sun awnings" for such sites as http://www.sunsetter.com/ for ideas and pricing.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Here's a simple idea: build a patio cover.

Google patio cover - and you'll see many samples.

Here are some pictures Jack

I think a porch arbor built between the two sides would go well with the Adobe house. Jack

Question: are you looking for shade only, or rain (whenever and if it finally comes) protection as well?

BTW, this is some gorgeous house you've got.

Thank you for all the suggestions. We are looking to keep the sun and rain out, if it ever rains here in the desert!
    We would like to shy away from the sun shade cloth idea. However, whatever type of roof goes on the structure we would like to include some type of way to allow some light to come through, so the house will not be so dark in the winter. The summers are very hot here, and the sun just slams in this area, making it non functional.

This house has been a major fixer upper, and the porch area is one of the last "to do's" on the list! The concrete pad was done long before we bought the house, and it needs to be leveled. I guess I want to know is, does the structure get attached to the house? Or is it free standing? How do you set the 4 x4's supports into existing concrete? Will the structure be safe in high winds? How many support beams do I need ?

I appreciate any feedback!
    Thank you.

Well, if you are looking for shade both from sun as well as rain then I feel you could try creating a covered area by using fiber glass sheet and then decorating it with a lot of indoor plants to keep the place cool.You could also create a nice sitting area in between the potted plants or could hang a wrought iron or even a bamboo swing to give it a look of a covered garden.

If you completely enclose it you're likely to be boiling hot. Consider a patio cover/shelter:
    http://s1159.photobucket.com/user/am...f.html?filters[user]=139890477&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

In New England historic areas, these are usually made of iron pipe. Wood 4x4 posts would probably
    be more suitable in southwest. New England uses canvas with grommits, and lash to the structure with nylon cord (Lowes). The southwest sun would probably beat that up pretty quickly. The fiberglass panels previously suggested would probably hold up better. Wingnuts for easy on/off at start/end of the summer.

I think I've also seen sliding shades that go inside of pergolas but that wouldn't keep the
    rain out. But then as a visitor, I've never been there when the rain actually made it to the ground.