+ Reply to Thread

Default Banging radiator pipes

My radiator pipes (old style/not baseboard) have been BANGING for over ten years. I mean loud, as if someone is hitting them with a baseball bat. This occurs even when the heater is not running...in the middle of the night when the thermostat is set low..when I burn a fire in the fireplace in the same room as the thermostat and heater is not running. It is a summer/winter system. The boiler unit was replaced 2-3 years ago and still have a problem. I have repeatedly bled the radiators and the expansion tank and never see any sign of air. None of the heater techs or plumbers I have asked can offer a solution...can someone help? It is driving me CRAZY!!

Default Re: Banging radiator pipes

It sounds like thermal shock and or expansion and contraction piping problems to me. I would suggest getting a old plummer (some one over 50 )that specializes in hot water heating to have a look. He can probably spot it.

Default Re: Banging radiator pipes

What kind of radiators? If you mean one pipe steam your radiators might be out of level. Get a level and make sure they are all level or tilted towards the pipe. I fixed mine with about 10 cents worth of shims. It could also be pipes sticking in the walls when they expand and contract, you can get Teflon sleeves for that.