+ Reply to Thread

Lightbulb Calling all electricians!!!

I am renting an older house. And every now and then the lights will flicker off and on… It's like I lose power, but I don't… Some of my clocks on things don't reset when this happens. The only thing that does reset is the microwave. And recently the breaker tripped to my office, the only things on at the time were my computer, printer and a desk lamp... I'm concerned about the stability and safety of the electrical in this house. My landlord is cheap and stingy and I personally can not afford to have a electrician come and check it out. Any feedback on what you might think it is would be appreciated

Default Re: Calling all electricians!!!

I think you should:

1 - Report your landlord as a slumlord who won't maintain his property.
    2 - Move because your landlord is an ass
    3 - Tenants should not have to repair their rental property
    4 - Electrical work is not for someone who doesn't know what they're doing, even a basic repair.

How handy are you, and how experienced are you with poking screwdrivers into live electrical connections? It is my recommendation that this be left to a professional.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lindi View Post
    I am renting an older house. And every now and then the lights will flicker off and onů It's like I lose power, but I don'tů Some of my clocks on things don't reset when this happens. The only thing that does reset is the microwave. And recently the breaker tripped to my office, the only things on at the time were my computer, printer and a desk lamp... I'm concerned about the stability and safety of the electrical in this house. My landlord is cheap and stingy and I personally can not afford to have a electrician come and check it out. Any feedback on what you might think it is would be appreciated
    Lindi, I would not pre-judge your landloard on this issue. What you describe is very serious and could be what is called "glowing connections" where a portion of the wiring gets red hot and ignition of nearby material occurs.

Because the problem occurs with a very light load I don't believe it's caused by undersized wiring.

In any case, you need to at least report the problem to your landlord.

If the problem is not corrected very soon you can notify your landloard and move out. The hazard constitutes a real and present danger and breaks the lease, in most jurisdictions.

An electrician can't legally work on the property without the owners consent so even if you could afford one it's not an issue.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

It could be an extreme fire hazard if it is like whay my neighbor recently found- corroded connections at the input of the panel from the meter- this was an old FPE panel and Maurice (above) told me they are known fire-starters. Look foir a label and if it's an FPE panel, Google a bit than take what you find to your landlord. The expense of a new panel is less than the deductible of his fire insurance, and nobody covers the loss of rent he will experience while the house gets rebuilt after the fire. If he balks still, mention a trip to the county (or city) electrical inspector and how it is illegal to rent out known unsafe structures- and not he knows. That should get action

My landlord re-wires and re-plumbs almost every new house he buys (several every few months during tax sales) because doing it up-front is cheaper than constant in-depth repairs as you go along, the more houses you have the bigger that problem will be. It is money well spent, especially for landlords!

Phil