+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Insulation in crawl space

I have a crawl space under the front room of my house that is exposed to outside air. I have lots of stuff stored in the crawl space, there is fiber glass insulation that I am constantly pushing back up in the ceiling when I am down there. This winter being especially cold, our house was freezing in the front over where this crawl space is.(Split level so it is an entire front room of the house) What would be the best way to put insulation down there between the joists so it stays(up in the ceiling) and in turn my house stays warmer? I have just cinder block walls but was thinking the insulation above would make a big difference. Would love any suggestions. The only thing I could think of was to use the rolled insulation with paper backing and shove it up there hoping the paper would make it a better fit...this winter reminded me of how bad this needs to be addressed! Thanks.

Default Re: Insulation in crawl space

Quote Originally Posted by lagator View Post
    I have a crawl space under the front room of my house that is exposed to outside air. I have lots of stuff stored in the crawl space, there is fiber glass insulation that I am constantly pushing back up in the ceiling when I am down there. This winter being especially cold, our house was freezing in the front over where this crawl space is.(Split level so it is an entire front room of the house) What would be the best way to put insulation down there between the joists so it stays(up in the ceiling) and in turn my house stays warmer? I have just cinder block walls but was thinking the insulation above would make a big difference. Would love any suggestions. The only thing I could think of was to use the rolled insulation with paper backing and shove it up there hoping the paper would make it a better fit...this winter reminded me of how bad this needs to be addressed! Thanks.

Hi, Have you tried adding a layer of ridged insulation to the bottom of the joist to hold the fiber glass up? Thanks

Default Re: Insulation in crawl space

Fiberglass floor insulation is normally held in place with "tiger spikes"; spring steel wires sized to span the normal joist spacings. Just stuff them in, but don't over-compress the insulation in the process. Where spans are too short to get these to go in you can tack a wire zig-zagged under that part to hold the insulation up. Alternately there is a plastic mesh made for this purpose which is stapled on. I would not recommend foam board here if there is a vapor barrier above the bottom of the floor joists as that will trap moisture and cause bigger problems. If you have hardwood floors, the rosin paper under them forms a vapor barrier, as will any sheet vinyl flooring. Plus some codes disallow exposed foam board for fire code compliance reasons.

Phil