+ Reply to Thread

Default Walls leaning - crack between kitchen wall and cupboards?

Hi everyone! I'm a new home owner and live in WI where we have had one of the worst winters - it will be -45 degrees one night and 25 degrees the next. This is what I was blaming our problem on, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something that could be a hazard.

When we bought our house we had a structural engineer come out after the house inspector was worried that the walls were bowing out. Structural engineer said it was all fine, just how the foundation was laid. This was in July 2013.

My husband and I just noticed that the kitchen wall is tilted out and it is definitely new. The sealant between the cupboard and the wall is cracked, as if the wall pulled away from the cupboards. Is this just because of the frigid cold and nothing to worry about or is this a structural defect that needs to be looked at?

Thanks!

Default Re: Walls leaning - crack between kitchen wall and cupboards?

i would get a new structural engineer and a good contractor to look at it again. doesn't sound right to me. go talk to your building inspector, maybe he can recommend someone.

I agree with the above post. What you describe is an indication of a failing sill.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I agree with the above post. What you describe is an indication of a failing sill.

Jack
    Jack,

What if the house is on a slab?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Jack,

What if the house is on a slab?
    Even on a slab, if the sill rots out the lower part of the wall can roll causing the wall to bow out.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb