+ Reply to Thread

Thread: leaky furnace

Default leaky furnace

I have this horizontal furnace that works fine and has for years. But here in Wisconsin our winters are bitterly cold. It drains properly and has no obstructions, but for some reason it began to leak elsewhere. It has destroyed my ceiling and I'm afraid that if I repair the ceiling, it will happen again.

Default Re: leaky furnace

What kind of a leak do you have exactly?

Is the leak at the furnace, a vent, the roof or a window?

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    What kind of a leak do you have exactly?

Is the leak at the furnace, a vent, the roof or a window?
    I believe it's at the intake blower motor. I had some work done recently with the gas line. Part of the gas line was protruding out side to a kitchen wall and then thru another wall of a closet. I wanted the contractor hired to reinstall the gas line inside the wall which he did. Please bare in mind that this is a second floor apartment. (A bungalow.) That subsequent line had to run under a cat walk that is adjacent to the horizontal furnace. And then to the underside of the furnace. I am now beginning to feel that since the contractor needed to remove the blow in cellulose insulation, the insulation is lacking in its effectiveness. And since we are experiencing extreme cold weather here in Wisconsin. It is now poorly insulated, hence the condensation. I could not tell if it is in fact dripping from the blower motor. But there is water pooling a the bottom floor of the furnace.

Let's say that your theory is correct. Then insulate the pipe and see if the problem solved.

Plz let us know.

I put a lot of thought into this and yes, I think I came up with my own answer to my question. The pipe we are speaking of is a gas line that runs from the basement up inside the center wall to the second floor of the house. I don't believe it's necessary to insulate a gas line. At one time we had a space heater serving the second floor and years back I finally had a new furnace installed. The contractor at that time chose the convenient route as I stated in the previous post. It was years later did I felt the gas line to be an eye sore and needed to be installed in the wall. The contractor removed insulation and did not put it back to the same consistency it once was. I did open the cat walk boards and found frost on the underside of the boards. This would have to be part of the problem. What I am not sure of is....., does this cause icing in the squirrel cage where it then thaws and leaks. I also found water pooling on the floor of the furnace unit.
    Last edited by JJDemos; 02-16-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added a line

In Canada there are many restriction about where you can run a gaz pipe. Typical you can run from one side to the other side but you can not run inside a closed in wall, ceiling, or floor. if a gaz leak occurs then the gaz can concentrate to the point that an explosion occurs long be for any one smells the gaz. as to insulating a gaz pipe i hear allarm bells. I would check with some one that knows the local gas code. I have seen a lot of infraction when i have been in the USA. IE under sized relief on a hot water tank, galvanized piping used on gaz pipe ect.

I would think that the gas line installed as it was, is grandfathered in and it is typical of these homes in the north. I wouldn't know what the code would be here, but you do make an interesting point. I have seen galvanized joints in some homes and am aware of the porousness of galvanized fittings that some do-it-yourself will use, unaware of the dangers. This is however not an issue. I have all black pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    In Canada there are many restriction about where you can run a gaz pipe. Typical you can run from one side to the other side but you can not run inside a closed in wall, ceiling, or floor. if a gaz leak occurs then the gaz can concentrate to the point that an explosion occurs long be for any one smells the gaz. as to insulating a gaz pipe i hear allarm bells. I would check with some one that knows the local gas code. I have seen a lot of infraction when i have been in the USA. IE under sized relief on a hot water tank, galvanized piping used on gaz pipe ect.
    Bill,

This is true in old construction (pre 1974 I guess): I've seen a lot of mis-use of galvanized for gas piping. Inspectors never insisted on changing them. However, whenever I had to install NEW gas lines (post mid 1970s), they were always black pipes for indoors and green for outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Bill,

This is true in old construction (pre 1974 I guess): I've seen a lot of mis-use of galvanized for gas piping. Inspectors never insisted on changing them. However, whenever I had to install NEW gas lines (post mid 1970s), they were always black pipes for indoors and green for outdoors.
    Grandfathering gas piping doesn't fly here. If an inspector finds anything but the proper gas piping (black and green as needed) anywhere, it's gas off immediately until brought up to code. I feel similarly- I will not 'bodge' gas piping or add onto an already-bodged system. There's too much to risk to do gas piping wrong.

Phil