+ Reply to Thread

Question Help with choosing between these two dishwashers

I've been trying to decide between purchasing a Bosch 500 series model: SHE65T56UC or a GE model: GDT580SMFES.
    There are some pros and cons to both for me that makes it a difficult decision, maybe someone can help.

The BOSH
    Rated 80 on consumer reports
    +) The Bosch have the highest consumer reports rating on reliability and dependability.
    +) Third rack option
    +) The anti leak system it advertises
    +) It has a Rinse option
    +) It has an express option
    +) Shorter all around load times
    +) I like the way the display looks but I'm not sure if you can see time remaining while the dishwasher is running ( the Bosch I want to take back had the upper hidden panel and you could only see the time remaining display if you opened the door and interrupted the cycle)
    ?) The half load on the Bosch I'm questionable about though- The GE is optional half Top or Half bottom, I like that but I'm not sure about this Bosh half as many dishes thing. Wouldn't you just wait a little to completely fill it? Otherwise I can see more sense in the half top/half bottom thing more. I can see just running some cups up top etc..
    *If I'm not understanding how that works please just let me know.
    -) I don't like the design of the top rack itself as much- just the way the positioned the metal pieces, they tend to jut up more making cups tippier (if you get my meaning
    -) I don't like the design of the bottom rack much either
    -) Bottom rack does not have foldable or adjustable tines
    -) Do not like the silverware basket, sections are small and even smaller at the bottom causing things you put in them to be real tight and I think it wastes more space.
    --) Boshes are known for not drying dishes well and with the one I have I do have to agree whole heartedly.

Rated 76 on Consumer Reports
    + & -) I think the control panel being hidden looks nice but don't think it's necessarily better. My husband seems to think that having it on top will get dirtier then the design of the Bosch with the controls on front placed under that little ledge.
    +) Like the optional look of the unique color of the 'Slate' which is grey but doesn't show fingerprints and water spotting like stainless steel.
    +?) Steam option to loosen caked on foods - don't know how well that works compared to just sticking them into the Bosch. Does add time
    +) I like the the top rack design better, the metal area I spoke of on the Bosch were it juts up is flatter on the GE and I feel will make placing/loading on it easier were cups and that are less likely to be falling tipping over in the process.
    +) Silver ware basket can be sectioned into three sections 1 larger piece and 2 smaller pieces that can be placed anywhere in the unit.
    +) Silverware basket is roomer and less confined then the Bosch
    +) The bottom rack tines are foldable, removable, repositionable and adjustable
    +?) Like the idea of the Wash temp option for a Boost in temperature- just don't know how well it works. Might even be comparable to Bosh's Extra Shine Option but don't know for sure though.
    +) Wash Zones option- Targeted Upper or Lower Rack washing
    +?) The Piranha food pulverizer- Advertised as a special thing, don't know the difference of that and the Bosh's filtration system
    -) Longer Wash time
    -) GE Rated Mid way on Consumer Reports for Reliability and Dependability.
    +?) Has a hidden vent with fan dry for the purpose of getting the dishes dryer- Don't know how well that works or if it even does get the dishes dryer since I haven't tried the unit like I did with the Bosch I presently have (model: SHX4ATF5UC) and am taking back to the store.

Side Note: When I take the unit I have back to the store I will have to pay an additional $200 more for the prementioned Bosch or an additional $60 for the GE.
    Is the Bosch worth spending $140 more then the GE?

Any help and advise on the matter would be so greatly appreciated and please be as specific as possible. I really do want to hear as much as I can about what you have to say so feel free to be detailed and wordy cause i'm looking for as much information and and experienced opinions as I can get.

I need to make a decision soon since I need to take back the Bosch I have since i've already spoken to customer service about it and in addition the store is currently running a 10% off sale on these appliances and I want to get the new unit on the sale so I don't have to pay more then I have to.

Thanks so much,
    Last edited by eblazemc; 02-17-2014 at 12:51 AM. Reason: incorrect model number, needed to change

Default Re: Help with choosing between these two dishwashers

If you ask me: I'd choose the GE. The reasons: Part availability and price.

You have listed a few arguments, good and bad, for both machines, so you should be able to base your selection on your analysis.

Portland, Oregon, formerly of Chicago

I don't know anything about the GE washers. I have had Bosch washers in my present and last home over a period of 20 years. Never a service call. Very quiet. Cleans and dries very well. One of the few washers that does not have a heating element for drying. The washing water is so hot, they just dry down by blowing air over them. No heating element means you won't ever have plastic dishes melt on the lower rack!

I just have a predisposition for German engineering. Have had Bosch tools for years that just keep on running with a minimum of maintenance. Have a German wife too. She just keeps on ticking too!

Bosch dishwashers are made in America, North Carolina I believe.

Now we all know why ordjen is biased favorably towards German products...

Through the years I had to repair Bosch machines (expensive parts, slow to arrive sometimes) and GE or Whirlpool (somewhat less expensive).

A dishwasher used regularly will last about 10-15 years. Think about this: If you select a Bosch and it breaks after let's say 7 years, then you will face a dilemma whether to fix it or replace it. And you know, today's appliances are not made as good as a generation ago, plus they have a lot more electronics with hefty price tags, that have a tendency to break a day after the warranty is up.

Generally, appliance purchasing is hit or miss.

Northern Virginia

In 2006 I did my kitchen from scratch, and I bought the least-expensive Bosch DW that would accept a cabinet panel, so even though it was more expensive than yours, the guts are probably comparable (they gouge you for the "panel ready, fully integrated" machines...)and I have been 100% satisfied. Super quiet. Can't tell that its done except for the light coming on. People do report complaints about the smell and the dishes not drying, but nether of those issues bother me. The depressions on the underside of rice bowls trap water; get over it!
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

This is helpful to me, too. I was on the verge of getting Bosch low end dishwasher, but have put the whole thing on the back burner ( to mix my metaphors) for now until I crawl out from under some of the other bills for a tiny kitchen redo. However, someone told me he knew a couple that didn't like their Bosch because they said it didn't get the dishes clean. However, he added later that they also sent TWO refrigerators back to the dealers before deciding on one. sound like pretty fussy people to me.

That said, if anybody has anything to say about how well it cleans, please respond. Also, is it true what they say about the inferior quality of name brands in big box stores? (no names mentioned)

I bought a Bosch Ascenta a few months ago. It cleans very well though I admit I rinse my dishes well and do not throw them in the dishwasher any which way – like my husband does The dishes come out clean and dry and it is very quiet. It is American made.

BUT, The bottom rack falls off its track all the time – crashing the dishes against each other. I am careful, but my kids are not so careful. I cannot believe that such an important design error exist in a dishwasher. I’ve owned lots of dishwashers and never had his problem before. This problem was listed in the reviews – but I forgot about it when I was shopping. I am not sure if it is a problem in other models. Also, it takes quite a tug to open it. I am not sure my elderly mother could open it.

I am not fond of GE appliances and avoid them.

If you want to learn about something, find those who have and use it and see what they think. No 'consumer testing' outfits stay with things till they die of old age; they rarely cover anything past a few years when just about everything still works fine. Salespeople just want more commission and sales so they can't be relied upon. Manufacturers are no better. So you have to ask those you can trust who know from their own experience to get the full unbiased truth, nobody else will do.

Bosch does tend to make a better product and I wouldn't worry with them. GE ain't close to what it once was and is generally of lower quality in comparison. Nothing is as good as it once was no matter whose name is on it, that's just the way the world is today. Learn what you can directly, consider what the 'reports' say after that, then get the one you think will serve your particular needs best.