+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy OMG Please help...i really messed up. Used oil base paint over water base primer...

Classic female error. I used water based spray primer on a wooden chair, then used **** metallic oil based spray paint on top. It looked great and seemed fine until i got the chair back from the upholster and found finger prints and all kinds of marks on the paint. The paint obviously did not adhere. It gets worse, because although i only had one chair upholstered, i painted 3 other chairs the same way.

How do i start over? The chairs have a fair amount of detail so sanding would be really hard. Sandblasting would likely do too much damage as the wood is sort of soft.

I am gonna look into Baking soda blasting and Dry ice blasting but can't find any in my area of So. California.

Is there any primer product that we can apply over the mess i've made? I can't believe the mess i've gotten myself into. I have a pic of the chair but can't get it uploaded here for some reason.

turns out all i needed was a top coat...nothing to do with the water based primer.
    Last edited by Karen Malucci; 02-21-2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: adding photo

Default Re: OMG Please help...i really messed up. Used oil base paint over water base primer

"Classic female error" - what's that?

I know some girl painters. Hey, they do better painting jobs than some of the boys.

Default Re: OMG Please help...i really messed up. Used oil base paint over water base primer

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    "Classic female error" - what's that?

I know some girl painters. Hey, they do better painting jobs than some of the boys.

Great! Maybe you can ask them to help me out with my problem. I am not a painter...other than my finger nails and toe nails!

Why can't you use chemical strippers on the three chairs that have not been upolstered yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    Why can't you use chemical strippers on the three chairs that have not been upolstered yet?
    that is one of the options i am considering but are concerned that the tools i need to use to sc**** the paint off will scratch or ding the soft wood....just wondering if there are any other options. Can you recommend any particular shipping chemicals? Remember, i am totally out of my league here. The wood on the chairs is soft too...they are brand new...they were raw wood when got them.

I don't understand the problem except that perhaps you did not allow enough drying time. Oil over acrylic primer is not necessarily a huge error. If the finish was applied too thickly, it can be soft for a month or perhaps more in very cold weather.
    This doesn't necessarily give you any comfort, because it will be hellish to repaint the upholstered chair, and taking the upholstery back off is a giant hassle and additional cost.
    A good primer to use is a heavy-bodied "enamel undercoater" like Ben Moore makes, it can be sanded to a perfect surface very easily when it's dry. If you tint it (usually a good idea for metallic paints) it will take longer to dry.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

An oil topcoat over a latex primer is not a problem. Did you spray on the oil? Are these fingerprints actually imprinted in the finish so that the texture of the paint is affected, or are the fingerprints just a discoloration of the paint? If the texture is affected, probably all that is necessary is gently sanding out the fingerprints with as fine a grit sandpaper as you can use to get a smooth surface...probably no more than 220, or better yet a superfine or perhaps a fine sanding pad. Do not sand so aggressively that you sand away the primer and expose raw wood. If your sanding is limited to a small portion of the chair, strategically mask the chair with the proper tape and paper and respray after you vac and tack, (taking great care to mask your new upholstery!). If you were able to upload your pic, I could have been more specific, of course. PaulaB ... a girl painter