+ Reply to Thread

Default First Garden Report for 2014

Our weather is so out of whack this "winter", that all our plants and insects are completely confused.

Crickets are born prematurely, earwigs are here already, birds look stoned. We didn't have a winter, we got no rain, and now SPRUCE tells me to stop stealing his water. Does anybody out there have water for sale?

But seriously, I started preparing the garden for seeding. Till the soil, mix in nutrients, HAND WATER, and seed.

So far we seeded Chinese lettuce, chives and green onion. There are seedlings already. Tomatoes, corn and beans will follow next month.

We still have sweet oranges on the orange tree, and good size lemons on the lemon tree.

Default Re: First Garden Report for 2014

I've got about 12" of snow & ice over my garden. To many other things to take care of first in the yard like a willow and river birch that were shredded by an ice storm. Last frost here is may 5 or so for tender stuff. Tomatoes aren't worth putting in outside before mid may since the ground is still cold.
    I do have lemons on my Meyer lemon tree in the garage. I'll start putting it outside once it warms up.
    I need to figure out a way to fence my veggie garden to keep the deer out. For the last few years they have been nibbling down my tomato and pepper plants and really cutting into the harvest

ed21, too bad about your tree. I hope you are able to plant by April.

Here we have a longer garden season, but we are short on water. Farmers are drip watering, but still, produce prices will go up everywhere this year.

No problem with the tree it is about 15 years old. It's in a big pot that I overwinter in the garage every year. It usually sets a bunch of lemons each year. People often think it's fake, but the tree flowers in the summer and the lemons hang on for quite a while.
    The garage is semi-attached, so it doesn't usually freeze. I overwinter potted plants like geraniums in the garage. They look like crap at the moment, but the always perk up and grow quick once I can put them outside.
    The lemon tree on the other hand is looking pretty good. The leaves are just a little pale, but Healty looking.
    Plenty of water here. We haven't had a drought for over 5 years. Even though we have local produce, we still get a lot from California in the winter.
    Last edited by ed21; 02-16-2014 at 07:17 PM.

Even though we are currently blanketed by last week's 20 inch snowfall, I'm looking forward with great anticipation to this season of gardening; we finally had a long enough cold snap to have killed off many pests, like the kind that overwinter as grubs or eggs. So welcome spring!
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by ed21 View Post
    No problem with the tree it is about 15 years old. It's in a big pot that I overwinter in the garage every year. It usually sets a bunch of lemons each year. People often think it's fake, but the tree flowers in the summer and the lemons hang on for quite a while.
    The garage is semi-attached, so it doesn't usually freeze. I overwinter potted plants like geraniums in the garage. They look like crap at the moment, but the always perk up and grow quick once I can put them outside.
    The lemon tree on the other hand is looking pretty good. The leaves are just a little pale, but Healty looking.
    Plenty of water here. We haven't had a drought for over 5 years. Even though we have local produce, we still get a lot from California in the winter.
    I've noticed more and more produce from Mexico recently. What that means is that our production is below average, which will translate to higher prices at the check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Even though we are currently blanketed by last week's 20 inch snowfall, I'm looking forward with great anticipation to this season of gardening; we finally had a long enough cold snap to have killed off many pests, like the kind that overwinter as grubs or eggs. So welcome spring!
    Casey
    Spring will come, you can count on that.

What you can't count on is the death of the various insects and their eggs. Many species are buried so deep that they are not affected. Other species developed every so many years, they just lay dormant, year after year.

Then there are the bigger animals...