+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Refinishing old doors. Need information.

I have stripped the entire down stairs woodwork and two stair cases using a heat gun and Dad's Stripper all went fine. Now the problem I started on the doors upstairs. They have an original finish under many coats of paint. The heat gun and Dad's is only partially removing the original finish which look like a faux graining on the raised panel doors. I can get the paint off but there seems to be a base coat of something that does not come off with heat, stripper, mineral spirits. I thought it was milk paint at first not so sure now. The house interior was done in -1901.
    Any ideas?

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Refinishing old doors. Need information.

Most likely Hide paint, do a search on line for removing hide glue.

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Have you tried an Infrared Silent Stripper and the accompanying scraping tools? I use both and the scraping tools are the best, because you can find the perfect shape. I probably use the boomerang sc****r the most in tight quarters and the clapboard sc****r next. A sharp sc****r takes you down to bare wood. google: silent paint remover to find.

Northern Virginia

If the woodwork was painted originally, you are better off painting it now. If the detail/moldings are obscured by paint. keep using the heat gun to remove the paint (which is so much slower work when there is no shellac under it) and then sand to make it even, prime with oil primer, and paint whatever color you desire (or hire a faux artist; or try faux graining yourself, it's fun!)
    That old primer had the pigments ground so fine, they went right down into the pores of the softwood, and dried hard.
    If it is a casein/protein based paint, ammonia or other caustic strippers will break it down. (like peel-away original formula) but caustics will do a number on softwoods; pine turns an unpleasant greenish hue. Oak turns bark brown, cherry turns blood red, etc.
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.