+ Reply to Thread

Question Water tastes/smells like cpvc cement

I live in an apartment and recently, the water pipes were replaced. We were told that the old pipe joints were prone to failure, so it was necessary to replace the water pipes.

Flowguard **** cpcv cement was used on the new pipes. However, after the water was turned back on, the hot and cold water smelled like the cpcv cement. Also, the water had an unusual taste.

I'm assuming that since the water repipe was performed in a short time span (6 hours, from start to finish for four 2-bedroom apartments), not enough time was given to let the cement to completely dry and release its volatile chemical components, and now, the chemical components are being released into the water.

My questions are:
    (1) if traces of flowguard **** cpvc cement are in the water, is the water safe to drink?

(2) if not, how long should we wait until all the chemical components of the cement have been "flushed out" of the system? Four 2-bedroom apartment units were re-piped at the same time, and all four units share a "common" water pipe. So, i'm also assuming that it will require that all four units will need to individually flush their portions of the line.

(3) is there a water-testing service that i can send water samples to test that the water is "safe"?

Please advise. Thank you.

Default Re: Water tastes/smells like cpvc cement

I used the flowguard cpvc cement and flowguard cpvc pipes when I re-plumed my house. It does make the water taste and smell for a few days, but it goes away. I don't know if it is safe, but I used bottled water for drinking.

(1) I wouldn't drink your tap water. I wouldn't use it for cooking either.

(2) I don't know the answer to that.

(3) You can have the water tested by an independent lab, but why would you even bother? If you read the disclosures on Oatey's web site, the manufacturer of Flowguard, you'll get shivers in your spine. The facts listed there are unreal.

If you are on a lease, you have plenty of material facts to allow you to break the lease and get your deposit back if you choose to move out.

CPVC is cheaper and quicker to install than copper. That is probably the reason the landlord went with CPVC.

I would advise letting the water flow before using it any time water pipes are replaced no matter what type of piping is used. Especially if you are using it for drinking or cooking. I would do this for at least a week or two.