+ Reply to Thread

Default Wood to Carpet Transition

I know there is the typical hardwood threshold to carpet transition, but I'm not the biggest fan of it. I'd prefer to have the carpet butt up against the wood, creating a seamless transition. I've seen photos where the carpet installers will just tuck it right into where it butts up to the wood flooring. That seems to be what they do against a threshold anyways, so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to. Again, I'm talking threshold, not T-molding. Is there any issue with doing it this way? I'm installing nail down strand woven bamboo that is 9/16" thick.

Now I've only ever seen carpet tucked up to the wood at parallel joints. I'm wondering if I could also do it where the wood runs perpendicular to the carpet joint? So the carpet would be tucked into the short ends of the planks. I thought of using a temporary ledger board of sorts to butt those boards against to ensure I get a nice straight line on the short ends.

Thanks for any help, I hope this isn't too confusing. I made a sketch in photoshop but I couldn't upload it. Wasn't liking my files for some reason.

Default Re: Wood to Carpet Transition

There is nothing wrong with what you want to do, I just prefer a T or a reducer, since the area is going to be high traffic area.

Carpet layers install a metal molding across the entry door and onto the slab/subfloor where the carpet can be tacked in. Available at carpet supplies.