+ Reply to Thread

Default Where to find Colors for Laminates to use on a Bathroom Vanity need a Custom Vanity

Well I am looking to remodel my bathroom it is small and I am hoping to see some colors of Laminates to get some ideas of what is available being I need a custom built vanity and the sink will no longer be in the center of the vanity because there is about a 5 inch gap from the vanity to the side wall and things fall in that gap. Looking at a Drop In sink, and seems that the colors available don't match the laminates. Looked at Wilsonart & Formica Laminates and not much to choose from at least I have seen nothing like what I once saw wiring homes for low voltage electronics and installing the finish devices. Seems everything used for bathroms today are 3 or 4 times the size I have and many use tile or granite for the cabinet top. I am looking for a basic laminate vanity with a laminate top low maintenance and easy cleaning.

Any suggestions where I might find some pictures and colors for this? Or is it to basic for most websites that offer this?

MMeehan
    Last edited by MMeehan; 02-09-2014 at 03:39 PM.

Default Re: Where to find Colors for Laminates to use on a Bathroom Vanity need a Custom Vani

If you want a laminate cabinet, then you're probably only going to find choices at IKEA or similar, unless you go with a custom built cabinet, then you can choose the color of laminate that gets bonded to it. Similarly with the countertop, if you have something made, it can be whatever color you like, though I'd recommend finding a shop that makes faux stone tops, they can do a one piece vanity top with the sink.

As for where to find samples of Wilsonart, Formica, et. al., a cabinetry/woodworking supplier should have a plethora of samples to choose from, as would a custom cabinet shop.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Where to find Colors for Laminates to use on a Bathroom Vanity need a Custom Vani

Might I suggest you consider Corian rather than laminate?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

While Laminate and Formica may seem inexpensive, Granite makes more sense to me: it's more durable, a lot more attractive and may not be that much more expensive.

"more attractive" is in the eye of the be holder. Take a look at //http://retrorenovation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Condoman View Post
    "more attractive" is in the eye of the be holder. Take a look at //http://retrorenovation.com/
    Actually I was trying my best to be polite towards Formica. Many of the homes I've bought for rentals through the years, had Formica in them, so I know a thing or two about it. It's trash, even before you install it.

If you ask 100 housewives what they prefer regardless the price: Granite or Formica, 110 of them will say Granite.

so what you are saying is wood cabinets like vanities like what most have at Home Depot Lowes etc are more durable and won't water stain etc over Formica... Well I guess for most here money is no an issue my home was worth 75,000 and now it about maybe 40,000 so to spend $ on anything else like granite and yuet in most commercial buildings I have been in are Formica and are "custom" made for the space.

I guess I won't be asking any more questions I wished I had the $ if I did I would have someone doing the work but on my budget I have had formica countertops and are durable, easy to maintain and clean. If you scratch Corian or granite it is not low cost repaired.../ replacement

Thanks but I will find a cabinet shop and have them build one to the size I need I was looking for information not that I am using the wrong material. Putting that much in a home I will never get back is just worth the money but I guess I see it different.

Thanks but I won't be visiting TOH Discussions just looks to be like the TV Show High End help only... Looks like I am not making enough money to get the colors and information I was asking for Will do what I can afford and do myself... On my budget is very limited that is why I came here to learn & DIY... Looks like it is just for information to have someone else do it for them...

MMeehan

MMeehan,

You asked about Formica and you don't like the answer. So what to do?

Did you know that you can buy ready made granite vanity top with sink attached, in std sizes, for less than Formica?

On the subject of educating DIYers: We can show you how to do things 1-2-3, we can also tell you to watch demos on youtube, but we can't give you the experience. And without experience, you will end up wasting good materials. In many cases hiring a pro is less expensive.

There is a reason why HomeDepot is so big: it drills in a customer's heads that "you can do it, we can help". What it actually says is: you buy the materials, cut it, install it all wrong, rip it and come back to buy the same materials again. Then cut it, mess with it for the second time until you give up, then call a contractor to do the job. Then we sell the same materials to a contractor for the third time. 3 times the sales. It's simple: HD only makes money when it sell something and selling the same materials 3 times is very good for HD.

And on the subject of falling real estate property values: In many parts of the country prices are climbing. Folks were under water for years now, and some are starting to break even. But you know, we have zero control over market trends.

MMeehan, Rather than looking for Formicado a web search for Laminate counter tops. There are more than one manufacturer like Formica.

Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 02-16-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb