+ Reply to Thread

Default Caulking vs grouting on floor with wood cabinets

Hi -

I've installed ceramic tiles in my bathroom and have started the grouting process. My question is 'should I use grout or a caulk around the wood vanity and closet on the floor?' I have a small wooden closet in the bathroom that's attached to the walls in the corner.

And perhaps some advice, 'should I use caulking on the tiles where there's a change of plane?' I've installing ceramic tile on the walls as well and depending on who I've chatted with, some say, 'use grout' and others say, 'use caulk'.

Thanx in advance,
    vf

Default Re: Caulking vs grouting on floor with wood cabinets

Quote Originally Posted by vinfurnier View Post
    Hi -

I've installed ceramic tiles in my bathroom and have started the grouting process. My question is 'should I use grout or a caulk around the wood vanity and closet on the floor?' I have a small wooden closet in the bathroom that's attached to the walls in the corner.

And perhaps some advice, 'should I use caulking on the tiles where there's a change of plane?' I've installing ceramic tile on the walls as well and depending on who I've chatted with, some say, 'use grout' and others say, 'use caulk'.

Thanx in advance,
    vf
    Grout everything, follow up with caulk at directional transitions and changes of materials. Actually, I would recommend grouting everything first, seal all grout (and tile if necessary ), then caulk all transitions.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

where tile meets anything that is not tile or marble, i prefer to use the grout manufacturer's matching caulk. it's usually grout in a caulking tube with a latex additive added to it to prevent cracking. they come in sanded and non sanded. the other transitions i use it on is an inside corner, where wall meets wall, where wall meets floor and where wall meets the tub. all these areas will expand and contract and it doesn't take very much expansion or contraction to break the grout. these are the reasons that the grout manufacturers started making a flexible grout in the caulking tubes.

just my advice, do with it what you will.

Its proper to caulk all changes of plane.

You can get latex or silicone, sanded or unsanded, shiny or matte in any of 300 grout matching colors from ColorRiteInc.com