+ Reply to Thread

Default Do the spray on shower surround refinish paints work?

I have a corner shower stall in my summer cabin that has those high plastic sheet walls built in style. against the wall and clear glass door and surround...stained from years of well water use on the wall sheets...could i use those sprays that i have seen versus replacing those plastic wall parts..not sure if they are glued in place etc dont want a bigger mess than i started with..Thanks

Default Re: Do the spray on shower surround refinish paints work?

If you don't care what it looks like, then do whatever you want. If you want it to look nice, professional, and last more than a week or two, then replacing with a good quality surround is the way to go.

It has been many MANY years since I've purchased or installed one of those plastic surround kits, very cheap, and looked it when done. They are glued to the wall with construction adhesive or similar, so there will be fairly significant wall damage when removed, this damage should be repaired before a new surround is installed.

Personally, I would opt for a tile surround and seal both the tile and grout to prevent staining, at least minimize it. Another step, after it's sealed really well, is to apply a few coats of Rain-X. Rain-X is a polymer film that prevents things like water and mineral stains from sticking. DO NOT use it on the floor, as it is slippery, but for walls and glass it works great.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post

Personally, I would opt for a tile surround and seal both the tile and grout to prevent staining, at least minimize it. Another step, after it's sealed really well, is to apply a few coats of Rain-X. Rain-X is a polymer film that prevents things like water and mineral stains from sticking. DO NOT use it on the floor, as it is slippery, but for walls and glass it works great.
    Can you use Rain-X on polished marble?

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    Can you use Rain-X on polished marble?
    You'd have to read the label or contact the manufacturer on that one. If you do choose to try it, do a small test patch in an inconspicuous place to make sure it doesn't do something you don't want.

Rain-X is an automotive product, so parts store or automotive section of the hardware store.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!