+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is this caulk OK to use around sink?

I need to remove the old caulk and reappy some around by bathroom self-rimming sink. From previous posts I see I don't want to use silicone. Is this stuff OK to use?

DAP Kwik Seal Plus Premium Kitchen & Bath Adhesive Sealant

Default Re: Is this caulk OK to use around sink?

IMHO you should only use 100% silicone no matter what some folks say. Latex will get moldy. I have never seen silicone get moldy.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    IMHO you should only use 100% silicone no matter what some folks say. Latex will get moldy. I have never seen silicone get moldy.
    IMHO you should only use latex caulk . . .

Latex, especially in the hands of a novice, is the better choice for ease of use, clean up, and repairability.

One of these days, I'll be able to show you over to the dark side, Houston!
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

i agree with houston and spruce.

i prefer silicon with the mold inhibitor but the latex is easier to work with. either will probably suit you just fine and have to be redone every few years depending on how clean you keep it.

Personally I would lift the sink and use plumbers putty under the rim.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

1. The fact is that mold can grow anywhere and everywhere, if the conditions are right.

2. The problem with bathroom caulking is that it has to be re-done every few years. To get a professional looking job, the old caulking has to be removed, and if it's silicone...good luck. If you have mold that keeps coming back, you need to treat the source of the mold.

3. I use DAP a lot, the one you mentioned (quickseal plus) has some silicone, but it's easier to remove than 100% silicone. The other one is quick seal and it's good too.

4. The purpose of caulking is to stop water from going under the sink's rim, something plumber's putty can't do.

I don't know what the old stuff it--it feels sort of elastic-y. It comes off easily though. It's has developed some mold at the front. Husband never wipes down anything.

Quote Originally Posted by queen60 View Post
    I don't know what the old stuff it--it feels sort of elastic-y. It comes off easily though. It's has developed some mold at the front. Husband never wipes down anything.
    That sounds like silicone. Here's the problem, and my major gripe with silicone. Silicone will not stick to itself, which means, even if you scr-ape out as much of the old as you can, the new is not going to stick, certainly not well enough to last more than a year or two. As for silicone "not molding", no, silicone won't mold, however, when it releases from a surface, mold does grow.

So, what do you do? You remove the old as thoroughly as possible, use a razor blade (carefully! ) and any other implement that will remove it. How do you remove the residue that's left? Well, that is a question left to those who extoll the virtues of silicone. Personally, once you do get it cleaned up, I'd go back with latex and forget about it until the next time it has to be redone. FWIW, I find that most sinks and fixtures need to be recaulked every few years, regardless of the type of caulk used.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Ahhh, - we're back to one of our favorite points of dissension I prefer silicone over latex. I also prefer to see as little caulking as possible, so when doing a new installation I drop in the sink, center it were I want it, draw a line around it with a pencil then lift it out. For sinks that have a deeply recessed lip I apply a bead of silicone inside of that line creating a low 'dam' that water can't get over then set it back in to my line. If the caulk will be compressed with a flatter sink I judge how thick that bead of caulk needs to be without squishing out, then set the sink. That caulking will not be seen and seals for as long as the sink is in place. After the sink is clamped in (or that caulk dried for sinks without clips) I apply a tiny bead around the edge to handle any minor gaps there.

If you only caulk the edges (latex or silicone) it seems that over time water will find it's way under the sink because it's so hard to see whether that tiny bead is still intact. With the hidden bead backing it up I've never had a leak. Silicone is tacky and stringy when tooled, so make the visible bead tiny and apply it carefully- especially where you stop it when you hit where you started. Done well you may see 'good enough' and leave it, but if it's not as nice as you want lightly spray the area with a water mist, wet your fingertip, then smooth away being gentle. If you pull away from the work, wipe your finger well re-wet, and pick up just short of where you left off then keep going. I find that I get my best results by holding the caulking gun like I'm going to do the work then 'acting' like I'm caulking so I can see where the gun might hit something, interfering with the work or causing me to change it's position before I actually apply caulk. That way you don't get any surprises by finding a place it won't fit so the whole job can be applied in one smooth motion.

Silicone or latex, get the surface as clean as possible first. Use an old terrycloth washcloth wet with vinegar and rubbing hard, then even old silicone will come off most surfaces. Wipe with a water-dampened paper towel, then dry with a tissue or T.P. till it shows no more wetness to be sure it's perfectly dry. Now caulk away. And tell Hubby that if doesn't start wiping up behind himself you're going to (fill in this blank with something he hates) and your nice bead of caulking will be fine for years.

Phil
    Last edited by Mastercarpentry; 02-05-2014 at 04:55 AM.

Thanks for the tips. The existing caulk is very narrow; it barely shows, but is unsightly now. I'd love to do it myself, but I have a lung disease and after reading the label, I realize I shouldn't be breathing the fumes. I'll have to supervise. Bad news.