+ Reply to Thread

Default What is this tool attached to my old work bench?

I am restoring an old work bench I acquired when I bought my house last summer. The house was built in 1900 and it looks like the work bench is not much younger. The tool looks like a wood worker's vise. It has a long real 2 x 6 with a threaded screw running through it at the top, and a length of iron at the bottom. The threaded screw is turned with a steel pipe to make the 2 x 6 move into or away from the work bench side. I have tried to include a few pictures, without success.

Anyway, any ideas as to what this was used for?

Default Re: What is this tool attached to my old work bench?

Sounds like a woodworkers vise, designed for holding large, flat objects without marring the surfaces, as opposed to a machinists vise, who's steel jaws are meant to tightly bite into and hold metal, often times hot metal.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Does it look like either one of these

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Or this one?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks for your responses. JLMCDANIEL showed us 3 images of wood worker vises - the tool I have does not look like any of those. What I have runs vertically from the bench top to the floor. It is more like the third image JLMCDANIEL sent but is vertical rather than horizontal. I tried to include pictures but could not get them to upload successfully. If I knew what I was doing wrong I could show you the images of what I have.

Well I have answered my own question. This vise is a leg vise, usually seen on Roubo style work benches for wood workers, and also seen on blacksmith benches. It has a top chop that can be shaped for the kind of work to be done. A screw thread rod runs through the top into the work bench, and a parallel guide at the bottom also runs through the leg of the bench, with holes drilled to accept a pin to prevent the lower part of the leg from moving closer to the bench as the top of the leg is screwed into the bench. This makes it possible to hold a variety of pieces of different lengths and widths while you are working on them. My leg vise is really old, but does have a metal rather than wood screw. As I restore this workbench I will beef up the part that the vise runs through, or when I build a new workbench I may transfer the leg vise to it. If you want to see some leg vise images just 'Google' "leg vise" and select 'Images for leg vise' to see several examples. Mine looks like the old vise shown near the middle of the second row. There are also a lot of images and videos showing how to build a Roubo style bench with a leg vise.

Thanks for the help with this question.