+ Reply to Thread

Default Subfloor as Final Flooring? Feedback Requested

Hi all,
    Hubby and I are updating our 25 year old pier and beam colonial. We were going to do 8" wide plank pine floors throughout the entire house except bedrooms. I like the effortless, warm and somewhat oldworld feel.

When we pulled up the carpet we learned the whole house has a rather nice 2x6" tongue and groove pine subfloor ALL OVER THE WHOLE HOUSE! It's all going the same diagonal direction - even upstairs. The gaps are not all even but that is also in keeping with some of the pics I've seen of this country old look I'm after. So then I got to thinking...

1) Isn't this very close to the look I'm after. Country, rustic, old. Why put wood over wood?

2) These floors are super thick. 2". So we could paint, sand, stain, sand etc to our heart's desire and not go through them

3) Most homes have plywood subflooring. Especially homes built on a slab. Not to mention upstairs.

4) They say they don't make'em like they used to. Should I showcase the original labor of love that went into building this home - or hide them?

5) I don't mind the spacing. In fact, I rather like it. Many of the manufactured floors try to add this groove. BUT, would debris get irritating - should I add filler or just vacuum?

Here are some pics and also some inspiration pics showing flooring with similar irregular groove spacing.

http://s748.photobucket.com/user/any...15133.jpg.html

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1466066/...-room-new-york

http://www.houzz.com/photos/5568754/...g-room-chicago

http://www.houzz.com/photos/773806/R...ic-kids-ottawa

Default Re: Subfloor as Final Flooring? Feedback Requested

Hay, it's your house. Do what you like. If you sell later the new owners can do what they want.

You can fill the open seams with rope of the appropriate size, that's the way they use to do it.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

There is no flooring police gonna come make you put plywood down. Its your house you can do whatever you want.

I'd keep a pair of tweezers handy for the occasional splinter, and cry a little tear as I stored my fuzzy bunny slippers.

The main problem I see is what is under that floor? Is it an unheated, vented crawl space or a basement which is within the house envelope.? whereas it is tongue and groove lumer, it would still be kind of leaky in terms of air infiltration.

This type of underflooring is common here in the Pacific North-West. I have it in my own house. It would normally have a vapor barrier over it and then the finish flooring. If you are on an unheated, vented crawlspace, there will normally be insulation under the flooring between the joists which would somewhat reduce air infiltration. Again, over a basement, air infiltration wouldn't be that important and there would probably be no insulation there.

If'd you ask me what I would do:

I would put a new floor on top of what you got.

- it will look finished and better IMO.
    - it will give you the height you need to match what's there.
    - it will be easier to sell, in case you need to.
    - it will definitely be cleaner, or easier to clean.
    - it will be safer to walk over barefoot.

Do you need more arguments?

You do not say where you live, but - in mild climates - that is not a subfloor but the original wood floor.

My 91 year old Craftsman has Yellow Pine hewn from 100+ year old trees, which is now almost unobtainable. This wood can only be harvested from sunken logs in rivers.

So, keep and preserve it.

There is very little heat lost through that as heat rises.
    Last edited by daspyda; 02-07-2014 at 01:59 PM.

I'm with Ordjen and DJ1. You can use this as a 'finished floor' provided air infiltration and insulation issues are handled properly, but unless you're going for the 'industrial look' with everything else I don't think it will look good. Many old warehouse and mill floors were done like this around here, but with the flooring perpendicular to the joists, not diagonal, and those look great in the many old condo-conversions we've got here- it's a large pert of their appeal.

Phil