+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Is this caulk OK to use around sink?

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    Use an old terrycloth washcloth wet with vinegar and rubbing hard, then even old silicone will come off most surfaces.

Phil
    So your saying a light acid (vinegar ) will help to remove silicone? I will give this a try the next time I have to mess with the vile stuff.

I would also recommend that your future posts on this subject start with HOW to clean up the old silicone to a point that new will stick, since this is one of the difficulties in using it.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    So your saying a light acid (vinegar ) will help to remove silicone? I will give this a try the next time I have to mess with the vile stuff.

I would also recommend that your future posts on this subject start with HOW to clean up the old silicone to a point that new will stick, since this is one of the difficulties in using it.
    It doesn't 'cut' the silicone but it seems to help. Approximately equal results can be attained with a water-dampened rag and with more rubbing, so I think it's mostly the physical rubbing action, and the 'nap' of terrycloth seems to work better than anything else I've tried. The old caulk sort of 'pills up' into little balls which is why I think it's more physical than chemical. It's the last step- use a scr@per or razor blade to get heavier parts.

I haven't tried it but there's a product out now that claims to remove old silicone caulk (saw it at a 'big box' some time ago) - comments from anyone who has used it would be appreciated.

I ain't going to post full caulking removal instructions on each of these threads until I see you doing it in equal detail for latex caulking jobs first

For the life of me, in all of our current scientific knowledge and manufacturing abilities, why we can't devise a mildew-proof caulking is beyond me There should be something impervious to it where it could occur only on the surface and then be wiped away easily for the life of the caulking. If someone came up with that product and it performed well they could corner the market and charge a ton of money for it till the patent expired because nobody would be buying anything else

I remember the old blister-card packed squeeze tubes of silicone in the late 60's (clear only back then and that was sort of 'milky-looking') that had a blob of the stuff on the package. Everyone had to feel it and play with it- that was a good marketing play!

Phil

It doesn't 'cut' the silicone but it seems to help. Approximately equal results can be attained with a water-dampened rag and with more rubbing, so I think it's mostly the physical rubbing action, and the 'nap' of terrycloth seems to work better than anything else I've tried. The old caulk sort of 'pills up' into little balls which is why I think it's more physical than chemical. It's the last step- use a scr@per or razor blade to get heavier parts.

I haven't tried it but there's a product out now that claims to remove old silicone caulk (saw it at a 'big box' some time ago) - comments from anyone who has used it would be appreciated.

I ain't going to post full caulking removal instructions on each of these threads until I see you doing it in equal detail for latex caulking jobs first
    I had really good luck with a rubber dog chew (white, not the colored ones ) for removing silicone from siding. Someone thought it was a good idea to use silicone all over the outside of their house . . . You're right, the friction/rubbing action peeled the silicone out pretty quickly and thoroughly.

Years and years ago I tried some of that caulking remover on old latex, didn't seem to do much IMHO. Maybe it's like "green" paint stripper, and needed to be left on for 24 hours? Since the stuff didn't work very well, I never used it again.

That's the thing, latex isn't all that hard to get out, most of the time, and any residue left behind does not affect adhesion of the new caulk being applied, unlike silicone. If it weren't for this, I'd use silicone more often because it is more elastic and won't crack.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!