+ Reply to Thread

Angry Refrigerator Warning

I noticed an idea in one article to use an old refrigerator as storage.
    Sounds good and is very dangerous if you have children.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN. I have a friend who had two children die in their old fridge playing hide 'n seek with the babysitter. The boy was 9 or 10 very intelligent and a good kid; his sister was 7. They sure found a great hiding place and were not found until after they suffocated.

REMOVE DOORS FROM OLD FRIDGES IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN AROUND.

Default Re: Refrigerator Warning

I use an old freezer for storage, but I cut the bottom and top seals off the door. If a kid were to get inside and shut the door, he/she wont suffocate. The door doesn't latch either, just a magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by keith3267 View Post
    I use an old freezer for storage, but I cut the bottom and top seals off the door. If a kid were to get inside and shut the door, he/she wont suffocate. The door doesn't latch either, just a magnet.
    That's good but it can still be a problem. Sometimes kids will get into free-standing cabinets and fridges and rock them back and forth till they tip over on the door where they can't get out. As I see it, it's more of an issue of watching the kids who aren't old and responsible enough to look out for their own safety until they are mature enough to deal with the unanticipated nasties which can occur in this world.

Unless you need doors on it take them off. If you need doors make it impossible for a kid to open them and be sure they are always secured when not in use.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    That's good but it can still be a problem. Sometimes kids will get into free-standing cabinets and fridges and rock them back and forth till they tip over on the door where they can't get out. As I see it, it's more of an issue of watching the kids who aren't old and responsible enough to look out for their own safety until they are mature enough to deal with the unanticipated nasties which can occur in this world.

Unless you need doors on it take them off. If you need doors make it impossible for a kid to open them and be sure they are always secured when not in use.

Phil
    In my case, I use if for flammable storage; gas for the lawn mower, some oil and a little solvent. It is in a locked storage shed.

Parents should be aware of all the hazards around their homes. What ever happened to simple supervision?

Other examples are:
    - pool accidents. We see it every summer.
    - Gas/kerosene/BBQ as space heaters. We see it every winter.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Parents should be aware of all the hazards around their homes. What ever happened to simple supervision?

Other examples are:
    My friend, there's a lack of common sense in the world today which appalls me, and in the people so affected there's usually also a lack of accepting one's responsibilities in dealing with the situation they've created too. I'm sure that there's always been some of this happening, but it just seems to me that it's worse than ever and not getting any better

I like keith3267's re-purposing of an old fridge into a flammables storage cabinet. That's a lot better than having the stuff floating around loose with no containment at all. And being a scrounger I like the price of it too When I get a proper workshop set up I think I'll do the same thing.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post

Other examples are:
    I was what they now call a "free range" kid, growing up in the 60's and 70's I was completely un-supervised, and I liked to take things apart; Including electrical panel boxes around age 5. Enjoyed starting camp fires around 7-8. From 10-on, I biked into the city every day in the summer, a 14 mile round trip on my 10-speed. At 13 I got into motorcycles. BB gun fights. molotov cocktails! Generally tearing stuff up. Looking back, probably a little more supervision would have been useful, but I miraculously survived, no broken bones or injuries requiring hospitalization. If my parents ever knew what I got into, they would have handcuffed me inside the house. Nothing illegal, mind you! (never smoked, drank, drove on public highways or destroyed private property) but what a risk taker the younger me was! Ahh, the memories! I finally came to my senses and developed caution around age 26. Nowadays, I'm completely un-fun. Oh well.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.