+ Reply to Thread

Question toilet marked by snake how to remove

I had to use a snake in my porcelain toilet now there are grey marks on it from the metal rubbing. Does anyone know how to remove these marks I have tried comet and a toilet brush with no success.

Default Re: toilet marked by snake how to remove

I was going to say soft scrub and rub it with a cloth or sponge. Comet should work too. Turn off the water and flush so you can work directly on the stain.

I wonder if a product called "bar keeper's friend" will remove the scratches.

This has happened to me. The customer got really pissed and i had to replace the bowl at my cost. When you use use a snake what i call a toilet auger you must make sure that if any moving part of the snake touch a part of the toilet you can see that there is plastic protection shield between the parts. The school of hard knocks

Try a pencil eraser; if a red rubber one doesn't work, try a white vinyl one.

If those don't work, try a pumice stick. They are available from most hardware stores, and some janitorial supply houses. The pumice stick also works on hard water mineral buildup.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Barkeepers friend is very good, because it has oxalic acid in it, which dissolves iron oxide. You could also use a metal polish, which will remove metal streaks but should not affect the porcelain.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Having scratched a few toilets, I duct taped the auger shaft 4-5 inches above the plastic sleeve (overlap) at the J-end (do it in a way the taped area doesn't attract waste material).