+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Heating a Workshop / Garage with a NuWay Propane Heater Questions?

Well I bought one of these Nuway Propane Heaters to extend my use of my detached garage / workshop time. My question is they suggest it have the vent going thru the roof but I am bit concerned with leaks when it rains / snows and water coming in from around the 3 inch vent pipe... It has a vent kit would when I had the roof reroof a coupe years ago the roof jack they used where they pull the nails I had some leaks I had to seal off so now I am a bit concerned that the vent kit has a what looks like funnel shaped collar that I would think goes over the pipe sticking out the roof but there is not a way to seal it I have looked around and because of the pipe is hot and should not come in contact with the wood / shingles I would think so now I am wondering if there is a way to seal the area around the pipe so I won't have any leaks? I look at the rubber non heated vents but I would think the rubber would melt because of the heat so what is available to get it sealed off? Or could I vent it out the side wall so that the rain does not rain as much pass the hole like it would vented out the roof??? Again Just hoping to learn what is available or possibilities of getting this install in 2014 just want to seal it if it is possible to have no leaks.

Anyone know or does this for a living installing Wood Stoves, Fire places etc and what if anything is available you might suggest???

Thanks in Advance for any information.

MMeehan
    Last edited by MMeehan; 02-01-2014 at 10:49 AM.

Default Re: Heating a Workshop / Garage with a NuWay Propane Heater Questions?

So are Hi Temp Silicone Roof Flashing Okay to be used with a Double Walled Pipe thru the roof to have a decent seal along with Hi Temp Silicone Caulk at the wood part of the penetration thru the roof as long as it is 1/2 or less to just be sure there is no water following the roof line or pipe down in the garage?

I see these sold a lot in the UK but here in the US it is metal that appears to wrap around the pipe but is not appear to be a "tight Seal" around the pipe as a Silicone pipe flashing would being it could have a better seal around the pipe???

Looking for what is approved for Residential Code use in the US especially Michigan?

Anyone KNOW???

MMeehan

I've never put a flue through a roof, but this link looks like how I would expect it to be done.(sort of)
    http://youtu.be/ugSDwcpUMKc
    Lots of other YouTube videos to look at too.
    Have you consulted with the place where you bought the stove and pipe? It seems to me the would be able to help.
    The flue termination needs to be 2' above the nearest structure within 10'. That code is pretty much everywhere I think. Clearance to combustibles you need to verify. 2" is typical, but what do install instructions with pipe say.
    Check with local building department for code requirements. As far as I know permits are required for stove installations.
    Last edited by ed21; 02-02-2014 at 01:01 PM.

Thanks but I bought it direct from Nuway a Company in Northern MI... And they state it needs to be vented via the Roof... And that was why I wondered if it could be thru a Wall instead. Most use this stove for Ice Shanty, Hunting Blinds and Work Shops it is moveable which will be nice not have work around it but when it is late fall / winter.

I have asked at several places and no posts as to this so I asked here yesterday I just started looking for Wood Stove Roof Flashings and Sealants. I found a couple silicone Sealants Deacon329 Red and Rutland 76R. But most all are from the UK as to Roof Flashings like what is used for Plumbing Vents just Hi-Temp versions that look similar that seem to have a tight seal around the pipe. I would take it out the wall but again not sure what Code requirements might be as to wall vs roof but possible less leakage possibility going thru the wall...

Not much information out there as to this Stove's Installation and Guidelines to be followed...

Still looking for more information but so far there has not been much seems to be done, a specialty crew that would does this...

MMeehan
    Last edited by MMeehan; 02-02-2014 at 01:27 PM.

If you heater manufacturer tells you to vent it through the roof, that's what you have to do.

If you are worried about roof leaks, get a competent roofer to help you here. Don't use a roofer who leaves nail holes behind at the conclusion of his job.

You can use tar (from a can or from a tube) to seal.

I just looked at the nuway website and it looks like the 3" stove pipe kit is what you need.
    It doesn't look like the flue is double wall, so I don't know how hot it gets and if using a synthetic collar or sealant is recommended.
    I assume the heater isn't left on all the time, but rather only when you need it. It probably wouldn't last very long if used constantly. I would also put a CO detector in the workshop.