+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Heavy Water Hammering at Cold Incoming Water pipe into Indirect Fired Hot Water T

Quote Originally Posted by lordofthering View Post
    Unfortunately I am not sure how to take temperature. If you can give me idea, I can try to provide you the result.

Yes, If I open any hot water tap it will stop banging because (I believe) it is releasing pressure which is being built in hot water tank due to expansion and only way this pressure to get released is from hot water side of the tap since backflow in cold water side will not allow this pressure to go up anymore even it tries to which is causing pipe hammering.

I am almost in agreement of putting expansion tank between Backflow preventer and Tank which should start absorbing the high pressure but not sure if that is only and right way of handling issue. Is there any other way of looking at from root cause ?

Also, one thing to note that this is only happening when there is no activity of hot water being used in house. Generally early in the morning when Heat in house Kicks Off and No one is using bathroom or any other place for hot water.
    If you can just guess it mate temperture with your hand,( do not get burnt) what i suspect is that you are getting steam water hammer. but i need to known the temperatures. Steam water hammer is where stream contacts cold water and bangs like a sledge hammer on pipe, those with a steam plant know what i and taking about.

Default Re: Heavy Water Hammering at Cold Incoming Water pipe into Indirect Fired Hot Water T

It has been two days and issue seems to be gone unless it comes back in couple of days.