+ Reply to Thread

Default Shower becomes colder as it runs

Remodeled a bathroom a few months ago. Installed a brand new Price Pfister Pasadena single handle shower unit (installed by a professional plumber). When taking a shower the hot water starts out just fine and over the course of the shower (7-10 mins) the water gets colder and colder. Never totally cold, ends up lukewarm at best. We have to keep turning the valve more and more towards hot to keep it at the right temperature. That being said, you can go to any other faucet in the house and the water is still scalding hot. I've replaced the cartridge once so far and it changed nothing. I have Price Pfister sending me a new one again just so I can try it one more time. Any ideas on what else could be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

A bit more info in case it helps. The house is from the 1950's. I purchased it this year and the previous owners had all new copper pipe installed within the last 10 years so I think that is fine. The water heater (gas) is less than 10 years old. I've tried to turn up the water heater to the point that is almost all the way up as hot as it will go just to make it through one shower and it doesn't do anything except make all the other fixtures in the house way too hot. I've even tried turning it lower than usual to see if the anti-scald mechanism in the cartridge (if it has one, I'll admit I'm not sure) was getting triggered by the hot water being too hot coming into it. Nothing seems to help so far.

Default Re: Shower becomes colder as it runs

Does the valve body have a temperature limiting stop?

Or thermostatic control?

Or anti scald feature?

Model ?

When you pull the cartridge out and run the hot water, does it stay scaling hot?

I would take a guess here:
    - is your cartridge clean?
    - can you change the settings on the pressure balance?

Check the faucet's installation manual to see how the anti-scald feature works. Though it may no longer meet code, resetting it to a higher limit will solve this problem.

I'm all for pressure balancing valves that eliminate the flush/scald scenario, but I hate temp-limiting shower faucets Current code requires them so I get to spend time checking and adjusting for 126 degrees at the showerhead on every bath remodel, then listening to the customer's complaints of luke-warm showers- and I don't make any more money for dealing with it....sigh. All I can do is tell the customer the above and explain how to do it since I can't exceed code and stay in business. What happens after I'm gone is not my liability problem- it was fine when I left

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    Does the valve body have a temperature limiting stop?

Or thermostatic control?

Or anti scald feature?

Model ?

When you pull the cartridge out and run the hot water, does it stay scaling hot?
    Thanks for the ideas. The model is a Price Pfister Pasadena model 8P8PDKK. I'll have to download the manual and see what is says about thermostatic control and/ or anti scald settings. And I'll also check to see if it stays hot when the cartridge is pulled out. I was assuming it would since all other faucets in the house stay hot.