+ Reply to Thread

Default Gas Fireplace Flue Replacement

We are told our fireplace is working fine but is not getting enough air flow and that the flue (at least I think that is what it is called, the metal duct running from the unit to the outside) needs replaced. However we cannot find anyone that does the work. Help we have called several companies with no one who wants to take our money. Who does this type of work?

Default Re: Gas Fireplace Flue Replacement

Who told you the flue is undersized?
    Is there an issue when you light the gas fireplace?
    Is their a metal flue liner in a masonry chimney, a double wall metal flue or a B vent type metal flue?
    Any company or store that installs gas fireplaces should be able to do the work. Maybe they don't want to just redo a flue without the the fireplace to match it.
    You might get a second opinion about the flue.

look in the phone book for chimney sweeps they should be able to do it for you who told you it needed replaced? tell them to do it or ask them who to get to do it

Thanks for the response. We weren't told the flue was too small but that it is falling apart. It is a metal flue installed inside a chimney (not sure if it is masonry as it is dry walled since an addition was added to the exterior of the home). We called many installation companies and all tell us the same thing, they don't do that type work.

A Chimney sweep / gas fireplace company told us it needed replace but they don't understand how it was installed. They suggested several companies who deal with our brand of fireplace and they all say they don't do that type of work. Boggles the mind!

well I am a chimney sweep and I would recommend that you never contact that sweep again if they said they didn't understand how it was installed. I would call another one. we do lots of gas liners. I am not really clear about what type of unit you have but any good sweep should be able to take care of it for you. check for csia or nfi certified sweeps and if the guy who told you he didn't understand how it was installed was a certified sweep report him to what ever agency certified him because his certification should be pulled.

If you can't find a competent chimney sweep in your area and you are have way handy you con order stainless flue liner kits on line and install your self.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    If you can't find a competent chimney sweep in your area and you are have way handy you con order stainless flue liner kits on line and install your self.

Jack
    Many things happen out of necessity.