Default 14/2 Source to Splice feeding outlet from 12/2?

Hello Friends, A friend told me I might be a able to get some help. Last night I was replacing a broken outlet in my basement for UN-related reasons and found something little strange (to me). While everything else was fed by 14/2 awg, One outlet was run from it using 12/2 awg. I was wondering if this is legit or If I should rip out the 12/2 and replace it with 14/2.

Here is a rough graphic trying to explain what I mean and I'm hoping you nice folks can help me keep this up Code.
    http://s18.postimg.org/a08xcwj3d/wire.gif

Default Re: 14/2 Source to Splice feeding outlet from 12/2?

It is no problem as long as the circuit is protected by a 15 amp breaker. You can always add higher rated components to a circuit but the breaker most be rated for the lowest rated component.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

There is no problem using larger than necessary wire. The only issue I see is someone thinking the wire can handle a 20 amp circuit breaker and replacing the circuit breaker with a 20 amp one.

Quote Originally Posted by John freeman View Post
    There is no problem using larger than necessary wire. The only issue I see is someone thinking the wire can handle a 20 amp circuit breaker and replacing the circuit breaker with a 20 amp one.
    True John.
    As long as the circuit is protected by a fuse or breaker adequate for the smallest wire everything is fine.
    The easy check is in the fuse or breaker panel. But if somebody connected smaller wire in a wall somewhere it's hard to find, and dangerous.

I often use larger wire than what is required by Code, especially if the circuit runs a long distance.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content