+ Reply to Thread

Default molding around skylignt opening

I am thinking about putting trim on my ceiling to frame around the bottom of skylight openings and I am trying to determine if this is something typically done or is it considered inappropriate from a design and carpentry perspective. Next question is if I proceed I assume it is just a matter of creating a box around the opening.and nailing it to the ceiling. Is there a rule as to what type of trim to use in such cases and are there any special techniques or other important considerations? Thanks

Default Re: molding around skylignt opening

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cofone View Post
    I am thinking about putting trim on my ceiling to frame around the bottom of skylight openings and I am trying to determine if this is something typically done or is it considered inappropriate from a design and carpentry perspective. Next question is if I proceed I assume it is just a matter of creating a box around the opening.and nailing it to the ceiling. Is there a rule as to what type of trim to use in such cases and are there any special techniques or other important considerations? Thanks
    It's your house, you can do with it as you please. I've seen skylight wells both with and without corner trim at the ceiling opening. I would recommend spending some time, preferably in a molding shop, looking at different moldings and stacking them together. You could go with a basic corner molding, but that would be drab and plain, not worth the effort, but, if you were to use some clover leaf, or a combination of two or three different moldings, the effects you can create are endless. Don't be afraid to run a secondary trim 8" to 12" away from the light well either, if you were to paint complimentary colors between the two moldings, you create a whole new unique design. I've done this with crown molding, and the effect is rather amazing.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I would say it's all personal preference. It also depends how the skylight and returns are constructed. For instance drywall returns can just have corner beads where it hits the ceiling. If wood returns, wood trim makes sense. If trim looks good to you and your decor,do it. Nailing to the ceiling works if you can hit some wood, not just drywall. Construction adhesive may make sense.

If you want to do it yourself, you need experience. It's not that simple to work on your ceiling. You also need to make sure your molding is nailed into joists. Ed21 suggested adhesive - I like adhesive on vertical wall, not ceilings.

I see nothing wrong with a skylight with no molding. Actually I prefer it without molding. An attic access opening in the ceiling is something else, it requires molding.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    If you want to do it yourself, you need experience. It's not that simple to work on your ceiling. You also need to make sure your molding is nailed into joists. Ed21 suggested adhesive - I like adhesive on vertical wall, not ceilings.

I see nothing wrong with a skylight with no molding. Actually I prefer it without molding. An attic access opening in the ceiling is something else, it requires molding.
    I meant in conjunction with nailing if proper nailing isn't possible, but considering the framing around an opening, it shouldn't be necessary.