+ Reply to Thread

Default Asbestos in Linoleum Tile and Adhesive

I was hoping someone can educate me on this topic, since there seems to be lot of varying information ******.
    I have a town home in Northern Virginia built in 1986, and I was in the process of pulling up my linoleum tile in my walk out basement, which was directly glued to the concrete slap. The tile came off easily, and underneath is the glue, which is a darker color, and very hard to sc**** off . Should I be concerned in removing it, due to possibility of asbestos? I read that in older pre 1980s homes, "cutback" adhesive was used which may contain asbestos. Does this sound that, and should I have it tested? Or is it something else? I started to remove it by scraping it, but have since stopped.
    Any help and info would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Default Re: Asbestos in Linoleum Tile and Adhesive

according to when your home was built there is a 99% chance that there is no asbestos in the tile or adhesive. the only possibility that remains, which i would find highly unlikely, is that someone used left over materials from the 70's to put that floor down. personally, i wouldn't worry about it but if you're concerned you can easily have it tested to ease your mind.