+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Can you adapt a fan light as a ceiling light?

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    Again, quote the specific codes that apply to make this "illegal". We are aware that this isn't a normally accepted installation, however, there are no code issues with the advice given to warrant your responses or that would make it "illegal".

If this were something that were a hazard, there isn't one person amongst us that would be recommending any adaptations of components to the situation. Quote the code as to why this would not be acceptable, better yet, quote the statutes that make modifications of this nature illegal, whether in your location or the OP's location, or nation wide.

We are not trying to be hard asses here, we're trying to provide accurate information, and unsubstantiated conjecture does not qualify in that regard. Quote the code book or legislation that backs up your position, that's all we're asking.
    314.28.C - page 70-183. I seem to have started a firestorm here. I think my concern is obvious. If the box is not completely covered then wires are exposed. The standard light kit doesn't completely cover the box and grounding is problematic. Even if the box is completely covered drilling holes for the screws creates a questionable ground. My suggestion of attaching the light kit with the complete light kit, base and all, using the threaded rod is the safest way I can think to do it. If appearance is an issue then put white blank cover in between the box cover and the light kit to cover the box and hole edges. Another possibility, that I have just thought of, is to find a light fixture cover that has a screw hole for threaded rod and screw a light kit into it. Either option is safe and the second one would be legal since the parts are used as intended.
    Last edited by John freeman; 02-13-2014 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John freeman View Post
    314.28.C - page 70-183. I seem to have started a firestorm here. I think my concern is obvious. If the box is not completely covered then wires are exposed. The standard light kit doesn't completely cover the box and grounding is problematic. Even if the box is completely covered drilling holes for the screws creates a questionable ground. My suggestion of attaching the light kit with the complete light kit, base and all, using the threaded rod is the safest way I can think to do it. If appearance is an issue then put white blank cover in between the box cover and the light kit to cover the box and hole edges. Another possibility, that I have just thought of, is to find a light fixture cover that has a screw hole for threaded rod and screw a light kit into it. Either option is safe and the second one would be legal since the parts are used as intended.
    John I went to Home Depot "fan light kits" and this link (one of many) illustrates what you're talking about.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...6ecbafb2d1.pdf

I believe anyone following this thread could attach the kit to a listed box, fairly safely, following your guidelines.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    John I went to Home Depot "fan light kits" and this link (one of many) illustrates what you're talking about.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...6ecbafb2d1.pdf

I believe anyone following this thread could attach the kit to a listed box, fairly safely, following your guidelines.
    I studied your diagram.

This seems to me to be an illustration of how to fasten a light kit to a fan since there seem to be two pull chains (I) (N) and (D) is so large. If that is what it is then my concerns remain. The light kit is not wide enough. The photographs of the light kits illustrate how small they are, too small to completely cover a box.

Some of the non-standard sizes do seem wide enough.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/N-5yc1v/Ntk-All/Ntt-fan%2Blight%2Bkits?Ntx=mode%20matchall&NCNI-5

My concern is two fold. One: the standard light kit is not wide enough to cover a box. Two: drilling holes for the screws would not create a secure ground.

However drilling a hole in the middle of an octagonal blank cover for the threaded rod (H) and fastening it with two nuts, one on each side of the cover, would satisfy me even though it involves using the materials in a manner not approved by UL. By using nuts on both sides of the cover there would be a tight ground. Many inspectors might even pass it.

If the diagram is a complete light kit then I think it is perfect, albeit bulky, and would be happy to install it.

Thank you for your interest and courtesy.
    Last edited by John freeman; 02-14-2014 at 12:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John freeman View Post
    314.28.C - page 70-183. I seem to have started a firestorm here..
    Now which specific part(s) are you referring to out of those 113 pages? Surely not all of them refer to mounting light kits to boxes which is all that we're talking about here- this is not a discussion of the entire electrical code.

And now I see in your latest replies you are now agreeing with my assertion that as long as the box is totally covered and the connections properly made, then there is nothing wrong with doing this. Re-read this topic to see who's opinion has changed and you will understand my frustration with you....

If the light kit attached with a hollow threaded rod, then that would be how to mount it to the cover- if not you'd be better off emulating the method it was designed to use since non-manufacturer-approved alterations to a fixture disqualify it from being rated for code compliance purposes but AFAIK, no such non-alteration rules apply to box covers.

As far as grounding, most light kits now have an attached ground wire, and those which don't were approved to ground through the mounting screws or were not required to ground- which I agree isn't the best idea but if done properly should be adequate. All the old fixtures were done this way and AFAIK it wasn't a real problem. It was a bugger getting all the wires tucked back into one I replaced on a fan about ten days ago without pinching anything but on the third try it went, ground wire and all. Luckily the other two I did that day had more space for those connections. I think the first one was made by "Blivet" mfg. If you don't understand that, ask an old Navy man about "blivets"!

Phil