+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can you adapt a fan light as a ceiling light?

We have a bedroom ceiling light with a pull chain that needs to be replaced. There are very few fixtures available with pull chains and most look like closet fixtures. I noticed there were many more good looking fan lights with pull chains. Can the light kit be adapted to use as a ceiling fixture?

Default Re: Can you adapt a fan light as a ceiling light?

Sure you can, just don't connect the fan wire to the hot, if you only want to use it for the beautiful light fixture.

Thank you!

While it should work, most of the light kits I've seen won't cover the opening of a standard box so you may have to figure a way around that. A drilled blanking cover will work but ain't very pretty. Just be sure to cover the openings- it's code and for a good reason.

Phil

The canopy/cover must fully cover the ceiling box or it will not pass inspection. Most fan light bases are smaller than would cover a 4" round box.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

There is no way to do it without code violations. If someone asked me to do it as a professional I would refuse. However if it were my house I would be able to jury rig a safe installation.

Quote Originally Posted by John freeman View Post
    There is no way to do it without code violations. If someone asked me to do it as a professional I would refuse. However if it were my house I would be able to jury rig a safe installation.
    I can't see any code violations here so long as the basics are properly covered- bulb wattage within spec, box fully covered, mounting secure, and connected properly. If I'm wrong then quote the code and educate me, but don't discourage DIY'ers without a very good reason.

Phil

True, you can use a plain metal 4" box cover and drill/tap the necessary holes and it will be kosher; ugly as sin, but code-compliant.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

I have seen round white metal covers in the big box stores that would look better than the normal box cover and they are over sized.

You might be able to modify a standard light fixture by installing a pull chain switch in the canopy where it attaches to the junction box.

As for using a fan light, I don't believe there is any way to adapt it using off-the-shelf parts without some modification. Sure, you can modify another electrical box cover for the purpose, but that will nullify its UL listing, and some inspectors won't approve the use of modified parts. (The UL listing is only valid for an unmodified device used as the manufacturer intended.)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.