+ Reply to Thread

Default plastic fixtures why?

Why would anyone pay a plumber to put in plastic shower fixtures?

Default Re: plastic fixtures why?

Because they think that they're saving money by using cheap products. The reality is, those plastic parts are not going to last or perform as well as a better quality product. This is something that we regulars have tried to educate our customers and visitors to this site about. The cheapest way to do anything is to do it right the first time around with quality parts. If you have to repair or replace prematurely, you are not saving money, in fact, odds are, the inferior stuff failed long before it gets replaced, which means that there's even more damage to contend with, which in turn adds to the cost of repair/replacement.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let me just add this: our labor costs are inflationary, making replacement jobs too expensive. Therefore, it doesn't pay to install inferior parts. Especially parts that involve a lot of labor to replace.

It's like replacing a water pump in your car. In many cars a mechanic spends 3 hours just to get to the pump. If you choose a reconditioned pump over a new pump because it's cheaper, guess what: you'll spend more on labor in the future.

In my fair city a plumber earns $125 per hour

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    In my fair city a plumber earns $125 per hour
    In my un-fair city, a lawyer charges $300 an hour, and claims that he/she needs more hours to study a case.

I remember installing a toilet for a customer many years ago. The toilet was from the third world and she paid about $35.00 for it. once i had installed it nothing worked. i had to take the tank apart and reconfigure the ballcock,flapper and trip lever so they would not bind each other. i took me three hours @ $75 per hour = $225. If i had installed a quality toilet it would have taken me 1 -1 1/2. cost $75-$105. Now what did she save and she has a garbage toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by bill shack View Post
    I remember installing a toilet for a customer many years ago. The toilet was from the third world and she paid about $35.00 for it. once i had installed it nothing worked. i had to take the tank apart and reconfigure the ballcock,flapper and trip lever so they would not bind each other. i took me three hours @ $75 per hour = $225. If i had installed a quality toilet it would have taken me 1 -1 1/2. cost $75-$105. Now what did she save and she has a garbage toilet.
    This is a problem that I believe has been brought on with the advent of the big box stores, Home Depot and Walmart being the worst offenders. They have conned the populace into thinking that low price is more important than quality, product knowledge, or customer service. The unfortunate thing is, these warehouse demons have monopolized the market, forcing big and small suppliers out. Finding good suppliers who are conveniently located is extremely difficult anymore.

I loathe having to go to Evil Orange as it is a place that enjoys wasting the time of its patrons. They rarely have what I need, their store layout is ridiculous, staffing is a joke, employee knowledge is non-existent, the list goes on and on. If I can avoid them in any way, I do. Don't even speak to me about Walmart, that is one place that I will never go.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

People buy "finishes"and "features", not quality construction. They know no better nor does the big-box store clerk. The clerk doesn't care, they'll have their job anyway- it's not their fault that their store sells junk and you didn't have to buy it. You will learn when you're replacing the faucet before a year goes by

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Mastercarpentry View Post
    People buy "finishes"and "features", not quality construction. They know no better nor does the big-box store clerk. The clerk doesn't care, they'll have their job anyway- it's not their fault that their store sells junk and you didn't have to buy it. You will learn when you're replacing the faucet before a year goes by

Phil
    As for the cheap faucets sold by the big-box stores... I got rid of the store-brand faucet that was in our house when we bought it after the plastic stem on the "ceramic cartridge" broke for the third time in less than a year. (Oh, it had a nice finish and features.) At $17 a pop, I figured a $200 Moen would pay for itself in a few years.

Same goes for the "pro style" appliances you see featured in the pages of a very popular remodeling magazine. My nephew was a salesman at an appliance store, and confided that the "high-end" appliance brands were no more reliable, and in some cases less reliable, than the boring old household name brands like GE and Frigidaire.

Actual commercial appliances (which the "pro style" are modeled after) will be ten times more durable, but they probably don't have the safety features that may be required for residential installation, and are probably a lot noisier.
    Last edited by Fencepost; 01-28-2014 at 02:13 AM.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.