+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default plastic fixtures why?

Why would anyone pay a plumber to put in plastic shower fixtures?

Default Re: plastic fixtures why?

Because they think that they're saving money by using cheap products. The reality is, those plastic parts are not going to last or perform as well as a better quality product. This is something that we regulars have tried to educate our customers and visitors to this site about. The cheapest way to do anything is to do it right the first time around with quality parts. If you have to repair or replace prematurely, you are not saving money, in fact, odds are, the inferior stuff failed long before it gets replaced, which means that there's even more damage to contend with, which in turn adds to the cost of repair/replacement.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Let me just add this: our labor costs are inflationary, making replacement jobs too expensive. Therefore, it doesn't pay to install inferior parts. Especially parts that involve a lot of labor to replace.

It's like replacing a water pump in your car. In many cars a mechanic spends 3 hours just to get to the pump. If you choose a reconditioned pump over a new pump because it's cheaper, guess what: you'll spend more on labor in the future.

In my fair city a plumber earns $125 per hour

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRemodeler View Post
    In my fair city a plumber earns $125 per hour
    In my un-fair city, a lawyer charges $300 an hour, and claims that he/she needs more hours to study a case.

I remember installing a toilet for a customer many years ago. The toilet was from the third world and she paid about $35.00 for it. once i had installed it nothing worked. i had to take the tank apart and reconfigure the ballcock,flapper and trip lever so they would not bind each other. i took me three hours @ $75 per hour = $225. If i had installed a quality toilet it would have taken me 1 -1 1/2. cost $75-$105. Now what did she save and she has a garbage toilet.