+ Reply to Thread

Default painting a fireplace

hi... we painted our brick fireplace with regular paint (paint we used for our kitchen cabinets) and painted the metal fireplace doors with the bullseye paint that we used for our fridge. is this dangerous? or will the paint just not hold up and chip? can we still use the fireplace? i am getting a lot of different answers... if anyone has knowledge on this-- it would be VERY much appreciated. and i can stop my worrying...
    thanks again!!

Default Re: painting a fireplace

Regular house paint and primers cannot handle the temperatures of a fireplace. Brick work you can get away with, as this doesn't get quite as hot as metal. Metal work MUST be painted with high temp paint designed for the purpose.

What is going to happen is the paint is going to discolor rapidly and likely start peeling immediately due to the heat. I don't think you've created a fire hazard, but it's something to be wary of. Your best bet is to remove the paint from metal surfaces BEFORE you use the fireplace and repaint with an appropriate paint.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with spruce. For the metal parts only use paints labeled "for fireplaces".

RustOleum sells a high temp spray paint intended mostly for repainting bar-b-ques. It is available in several colors, including flat and gloss black. I used it on my glass doors to blank out the couple brass plated louvers that gave the doors a dated loo. It is good to 1200 degrees and so far has been holding up fine. It is available at Home Depot.
    ( sorry Spruce, I didn't mean to curse in front of you! )

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    ( sorry Spruce, I didn't mean to curse in front of you! )
    Just don't let it happen again! <wink>
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!