+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaky Toilet

Default Leaky Toilet

Thanks for all the help that was given. I hope that I can handle this myself, I'm sure willing to give it a try.
    I going to get the things, that I think will be needed. Please let me know if their is anything else that I need.
    Since I do have an older Mobile Home, I understand that Plastic is the thing to deal with.

1)Wax ring- Are they all the same size?

2)Flange - if needed, what is the best for me to get?
    Are their different types for use in Mobile Home Trailers?
    Will I need some type of glue?

3)Flange bolts - I need 2 that are Brass?

Pray that I don't have to replace floor.

Default Re: Leaky Toilet

Quote Originally Posted by rittertig View Post
    Thanks for all the help that was given. I hope that I can handle this myself, I'm sure willing to give it a try.
    I going to get the things, that I think will be needed. Please let me know if their is anything else that I need.
    Since I do have an older Mobile Home, I understand that Plastic is the thing to deal with.

1)Wax ring- Are they all the same size?

2)Flange - if needed, what is the best for me to get?
    Are their different types for use in Mobile Home Trailers?
    Will I need some type of glue?

3)Flange bolts - I need 2 that are Brass?

Pray that I don't have to replace floor.
    1 - Wax rings are all the same size, where you will find differences is with/without a neck or flange, which is just a fancy word for plastic funnel in the center of the ring, and whether or not it's got new hold down hardware included. Get a ring that has a neck and new hardware. You will also need something to cut the new hardware down after installation, a keyhole saw works well.

2 - I've only used a handful of retrofit metal flanges that were mentioned earlier, so I can't assist much here. They're pretty simple and straight forward, just a stamped lightweight metal ring with various holes cut into it. You should find them very near the wax rings. Pick up some stainless steel or coated screws that won't rust to install it. If you go to a place like Ace Hardware, the employees will know what to look for. If you go to a big box, DO NOT follow the recommendations from these employees, as most of them have never seen what they sell, let alone what it's used for or how to install it properly.

3 - As stated earlier, get a wax ring with the hardware included. Oatey is a good brand, Ace Hardware is fine too.

Yes, definitely pray, as floor damage is quite common when leaks occur. If you've caught it early enough, there may be little to no damage at all, which will be fine. If you find that the floor around the flange is severely swollen or worse, get it replaced pronto. You can reset your toilet until you get it repaired, but don't leave it as it will only get worse. Particle board is much like a dry sponge, when it gets wet, it swells many times its original thickness and turns to sawdust. There is no structural integrity once it gets wet, first the flange will let loose, resulting in a loose toilet, which is then going to compromise the new wax ring you are installing, resulting in more leakage and more damage. I say these things not to scare you, but to show you that this is nothing to be trifled with. If you have any questions or concerns about it, have it checked by a professional.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!