+ Reply to Thread

Default Dealing with Plaster and Mesh Attached to Exterior Birck

Hi All,

I'm hoping to get some advice on my current kitchen renovation. We have a brick 1930's house in St Louis. There are tiles running waist high all the way around that we decided we don't like. I started removing the tile from the interior walls. That went just fine.

However, I found that the mortar(or plaster or stucco, not really sure what it is) behind the tile and the rest of the wall uses wire mesh to attach to the brick exterior wall. This mesh is then attached to the brick.

The tile goes all the way around the walls, so they either need to be removed or covered. I don't intend to show the brick, so I'm not too concerned about how it looks, but I don't want to damage the walls in a major way. I'd like to run new electrical along the exterior walls, but the kitchen is fairly small, and doing anything to shrink more it is unappealing.

So my question is this, should I remove the plaster/wire down to the brick, then put up drywall, or leave it up and try to do some sort of furring strips attached to the plaster, flush with the tile, with drywall over that?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Dealing with Plaster and Mesh Attached to Exterior Birck

I think the answer to your question is going to depend on how the mess (probably wire lath) is attached and in how many locations. You might consider leaving it up and re-plastering the area.

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Default Re: Dealing with Plaster and Mesh Attached to Exterior Birck

Sorry for taking so long to get back, I thought I'd get an email if someone responded. That didn't happen.

Jack - I'm going the route you suggested and plastering over it. The house is a 1930's brick construction. I'm guessing I need use lime plaster, but I'm not an expert by any means. All I've done is some simple patching work. There are some places where tile and mortar was attached over the plaster, and others where the soffit used to be, where there is no plaster at all. I was planning to do the scratch coat and brown coat on the bare areas to build it up, then doing a skim coat over the whole wall to give it the same smooth texture. Does that sound right?

Also, any recommendations for what to use as a skim coat?

Thanks for the feedback!