+ Reply to Thread

Question Bathroom Redesign

Hey all! First time on the forums, love the show, got me into home DIY. I recently bought a new home, and my aim is to redo the master bathroom shortly. I'd have gone to house to measure and sketch out but there's a blizzard here in NY. If you walked a few steps into the bathroom as it stands now, there would be a shower pan/doors at 8:00, toilet at 10:00 double vanity at 4:00 tub at 1:00. What I'd like to do is gut and re-tile. Where the shower is I want to rip the whole setup out, and install a wall perpendicular to the left wall, and incorporate one side of it to be a tiled shower wall. I've never framed before nor re-walled anything to date (just speckled and taped existing drywall) I'm wondering if a) if I should remove floor tile before starting work on new wall, b) how to re-enforce it because the wall will end short of the ceiling that is ~15' would almost be a tall knee wall? don't know the term for this kind of setup, I'd like a 8' wall if I can, and c) what kind of board I need on top of the framing (cement backer board all around?) and if it needs to be on all 3 sides. Thank you guys for the help in advance, I look forward to your .02!

If you need me to draw a rough sketch I could give it a shot if it helps

Default Re: Bathroom Redesign

For all things tile and remodeling related, you'll fare best by starting a new thread over on the John Bridge Tile Forum.

You can post pictures of what you have and sketches of what you want to do.

First click on the handy dandy deflecto-lator to see if your joists will handle tile.

Default Re: Bathroom Redesign

Since you are new to remodeling, you need solid advise to avoid pit falls and going over budget.

Another option to searching on line, would be to consult a kitchen and bath designers. Money worth spending.