+ Reply to Thread

Default Period iron/metal fence that doesn't cost a fortune?

I am looking for a iron fence that be appropriate for an 1860s second empire, preferably with spires close enough together to keep a cat in. So far I have found very cheap and plain fencing at home depot ($10/ft) that doesn't really fit with what you see around Boston, and insanely expensive fencing elsewhere (like $200-$300 per linear foot). There must be a happy medium, right? I'll even learn to weld and buy the tools if that's what it takes.

Otherwise, I will probably make a scalloped picket fence with square pickets and paint it black.

Default Re: Period iron/metal fence that doesn't cost a fortune?

try American Iron Works in Everett. 617-381-4089

Cast iron is never cheap. Unlikely it could compete in price with a wood fence.
    Aluminum that looks like cast iron might be an option. I can't remember any manufacturers names, but have seen them. I don't know if any vinyl fences emulate cast iron.
    Good luck keeping a cat in with any fence.

Though cast iron fences may be easy to maintain but are quite costly.Cast Iron is one of the most durable and recycled building material.It is highly resistant to corrosion which makes it ideal for railings,street furnishing and gates.It also provides ornamental value.But because of the cost not every opts for this.Finding the right kind of material in a budget is a big task and so you should try thinking about other materials too.'Wiemann Metalcraft' is one such place you could explore.

Definitely cast iron ranges of gates and railings are ideal for public buildings and parks and domestic applications. It may seems costly but its also the other of durability and highly resistant matter.