+ Reply to Thread

Default water hammer when faucet is turned on

I have a water hammer problem that occurs when I turn ON my kitchen faucet, not when I turn it off. The pipes are 1/2-inch copper running in the basement up to my kitchen sink. The water hammer occurs frequently, and sometimes stops the flow of water for a short time (10-20 seconds). The problem occurs with both hot and cold water. It is noticeable both in loudness and vibration.

Will a hammer arrestor solve this? I can also improve the pipe bracing in the basement. Any other suggestions?

Mike Mathews

Default Re: water hammer when faucet is turned on

The water hammer you describe is caused by the transfer valve in the kitchen faucet. If you can identify the make I may be able to point you in the right direction to get a replacement.
    John

The make of the kitchen sink valve is Kohler. It is a model # K-10430 with a separate handheld spray.

Here is a link that shows the breakdown of the faucet. You can try calling Kohler and they may send you the diverter free of charge.
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/koh...76_152973.html
    John

What is your static water pressure -- the pressure in the system when no water is flowing? (You can measure this with a gauge that connects to a garden hose faucet.) If it's too high (>80PSI) that can cause the issue; the transfer valve in the faucet may not function correctly under high pressure.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I checked the static water pressure at an outdoor faucet nearest the incoming water main. I used a Champion G200-C pressure gauge. The pressure was just slightly below 80 PSI. I took several measurements and got the same result each time. So I guess it could be that the valve cannot handle this pressure even when new, or the valve is weak and the pressure is too great for a weak valve. I can get a replacement valve at the local Home Depot for the same price Kohler charges (about $15-16). If I do this and I still get the water hammer symptoms I described, then I guess I will need to consider inserting a pressure regulator in the line just after it enters the house. I do have a Watts H560 pressure regulator I used in a previous house, that might work. Any other suggestions?

After checking the static water pressure as described above, I contacted Kohler to see if they had any restrictions on the maximum water pressure for this kitchen faucet. They did not have any specific restriction regarding the water pressure. They did say that the water hammer could be caused by the diverter located in the spout. They are sending me a replacement cartridge and diverter (at no charge) to address the problem. Hopefully I will have good news to report after I install these items.

It should work at 80psi and it's an easy DIY job If the same problem recurs too soon, only then would I consider adding a regulator. If it's 8-10 years down the road I'd consider it par for the course. Let us know how it goes!

Phil