+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default water hammer when faucet is turned on

I have a water hammer problem that occurs when I turn ON my kitchen faucet, not when I turn it off. The pipes are 1/2-inch copper running in the basement up to my kitchen sink. The water hammer occurs frequently, and sometimes stops the flow of water for a short time (10-20 seconds). The problem occurs with both hot and cold water. It is noticeable both in loudness and vibration.

Will a hammer arrestor solve this? I can also improve the pipe bracing in the basement. Any other suggestions?

Mike Mathews

Default Re: water hammer when faucet is turned on

The water hammer you describe is caused by the transfer valve in the kitchen faucet. If you can identify the make I may be able to point you in the right direction to get a replacement.
    John

The make of the kitchen sink valve is Kohler. It is a model # K-10430 with a separate handheld spray.

Here is a link that shows the breakdown of the faucet. You can try calling Kohler and they may send you the diverter free of charge.
    http://www.ereplacementparts.com/koh...76_152973.html
    John

What is your static water pressure -- the pressure in the system when no water is flowing? (You can measure this with a gauge that connects to a garden hose faucet.) If it's too high (>80PSI) that can cause the issue; the transfer valve in the faucet may not function correctly under high pressure.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

I checked the static water pressure at an outdoor faucet nearest the incoming water main. I used a Champion G200-C pressure gauge. The pressure was just slightly below 80 PSI. I took several measurements and got the same result each time. So I guess it could be that the valve cannot handle this pressure even when new, or the valve is weak and the pressure is too great for a weak valve. I can get a replacement valve at the local Home Depot for the same price Kohler charges (about $15-16). If I do this and I still get the water hammer symptoms I described, then I guess I will need to consider inserting a pressure regulator in the line just after it enters the house. I do have a Watts H560 pressure regulator I used in a previous house, that might work. Any other suggestions?