+ Reply to Thread

Default oil heat with water pipe radiators is too expensive

I do not want to pay for any heating, so the whole oil burner/radiator heating system I do not want to use at all. Never. Ever. About 500 dollars a month so far this fall and winter.

However I really want hot water!

How hard or expensive would it be to just install an on-demand electric heater for the kitchen sink downstairs and the shower upstairs? At a minimum this is all I would want to pay for.

I'm guessing because the radiator water pipes recycle water to generate heat, it would be harder to install a tankless electric water heater. However, I have no interest in cross fitting the two systems, I would smile and rip out these radiator heating pipes in a heart beat if it made installing a tankless heater easier. Could I have two small tankless water heaters, one for the kitchen/bathroom, and just run new water pipes?

What's the easiest/cheapest way to get hot water to a kitchen sink and shower, that's all I want.

Default Re: oil heat with water pipe radiators is too expensive

Paying $500 a month for hot water is extreme, and I think you can do better with 2 small units.

If you have an old oil tank, chances are that there is a leak, and your oil suppliers just keeps on filling your tank, OR you are taken for a ride by your supplier.

Do you have access to natural gas, you can save even more with NG.

oldhouses,

It sounds like you're in a panic because most parts of the U.S. are having a very cold winter and you're having to pay $500/mo. for heat-----this is understandable, but you have to be calm---you can't solve your heating problem in a week, or a month, or several months---you have to size up exactly what you have for a heating system & what can be saved & what can't be saved.

Besides, January is NOT the best time to make any major changes---the heating season will be over in 2 months in most areas and THAT'S the time to make any major changes; for now, you should be concentrating on getting the most out of your present system for the least cost until the warm weather arrives.

For example, you talk about just putting tankless hot water in for showers & hw kitchen needs----but this is known in the trade as the DOMESTIC HOT WATER system & is separate from the heating system that heats the radiators---in most older hw heating systems there is usually a DOMESTIC COIL inside the boiler that also heats & provides the domestic hot water.

For the time being, your only choice may be to WORK WITH THE SYSTEM YOU HAVE NOW---at least until you can research it & get more info as to the best road to take---if you simply turn off the radiator heating system the pipes to everything will freeze & you'll be in an even WORSE predicament.

Installing a gas-fired tankless water heater (or 2) requires at least a 1" to 1 1/2" to 2" gas supply line, which may require digging up the street; & is very expensive to install & to run.

Consult the Yellow Pages under 'Heating Contractors" & have a heating expert come over & make some suggestions as to the best way to go on this deal---how many total sq. ft. do you have to the house; what is your general location; do you have sub-zero days/nites; how old is the boiler/rads; are the windows double pane storms; is there insulation in the exterior walls??????
    Last edited by dodsworth; 01-20-2014 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhouesarehard View Post
    I do not want to pay for any heating, so the whole oil burner/radiator heating system I do not want to use at all. Never. Ever. About 500 dollars a month so far this fall and winter.
    Just wondering what you want to do to heat your house. I'm cheap too, but I prefer not to be able to see my breath in the house.
    Where do you live? How old, big, uninsulated is your house? How old is the current boiler? Has the system ever been looked at / evaluated by a professional?