+ Reply to Thread

Default Grounding elcetrical outlets

My wife and I just bought our first house. The house was built in 1955. The outlet are these old two prong outlets that arent grounded. How hard is it to replace these? These outlets do not support many of todays electronics.

Default Re: Grounding elcetrical outlets

Depends if the existing wiring doesn't have a provision for grounding back to the panel then It will either be running a ground conductor throughout the circuits or rewiring those same circuits.

Tommy-h -

You could do a couple of things... Does the electric panel have fuses or circuit breakers?

If no updating has occured at all - probably fuses. If it has breakers - you could purchase a ground fault circuit breaker.

But if you have knob & tube - the GFC breaker will probably trip because of common paths back to the panel...

If you can see the wiring downstairs in a basement or some such - it is not that hard to totally rewire. Just a lot of work. You can pick up some rewiring books (Black & Decker) makes a handy one - at your local hardware store.

It used to be legal all over (but I think some restrictions now) - to just sub in a GFC outlet; and then tie other outlts to that one using the load wires from the GFC.

This allows you to have 3 prong outlets/ no actual ground; but still have protection against being shocked...

Do a little reading. Some low cost options are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy-h View Post
    My wife and I just bought our first house. The house was built in 1955. The outlet are these old two prong outlets that arent grounded. How hard is it to replace these? These outlets do not support many of todays electronics.
    Chances are the wiring also will not support today's loads placed on the wiring as well. Something to ponder.

Although adding GFCIs add a significant safety level it does not supply a ground needed for noise filtering in some electronic equipment. Because you would have to pull a ground you may just as well pull new wiring.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by spammed3@sky View Post
    Tommy-h -

You could do a couple of things... Does the electric panel have fuses or circuit breakers?

If no updating has occured at all - probably fuses. If it has breakers - you could purchase a ground fault circuit breaker.

But if you have knob & tube - the GFC breaker will probably trip because of common paths back to the panel...

If you can see the wiring downstairs in a basement or some such - it is not that hard to totally rewire. Just a lot of work. You can pick up some rewiring books (Black & Decker) makes a handy one - at your local hardware store.

It used to be legal all over (but I think some restrictions now) - to just sub in a GFC outlet; and then tie other outlts to that one using the load wires from the GFC.

This allows you to have 3 prong outlets/ no actual ground; but still have protection against being shocked...

Do a little reading. Some low cost options are available.

The electrical panel was updated and some of the outlets are grounded some arent. The house is on a slab no basement i guess this may make it harder to run new wires.

My guess would be that the ones that are grounded were the ones that it was easy to run the new wire.

Is this a two story house of a rancher? If a rancher you may be able to make some new wire runs through the attic space to the ungrounded outlets.